Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rust removal and prevention

Article about: Was wondering what people’s favourite rust removal technique is for ground dug items? I mainly use clear vinegar (sometimes with salt) which is ok. Tried electrolysis but was not too impre

?

Default Rust removal and prevention

Was wondering what people’s favourite rust removal technique is for ground dug items?
    I mainly use clear vinegar (sometimes with salt) which is ok. Tried electrolysis but was not too impressed with results however maybe I’m not doing it right.
    Also what are you using to keep the rust away after? I dug up an HJ buckle which I’ve been rotating between vinegar and lemon juice. It’s really starting to get some where but once it’s dry the rust quickly returns. I read that wax can help, any suggestions?
    Thanks folks

It depends on the item.

In the U.S. for example, I clean a lot of Civil War artillery shell fragments. I just use a stiff steel wire brush, and it works great. I do this for other iron relics (depending one what they are). If you're talking about WWII helmets though, that's a different story, and all depends on the situation.

For a HJ buckle, I'd use a soft steel wire brush, and go over it quickly. I've never damaged a buckle like that, but I'd try it one something else first just to get the hang of it, and see if you like the results. As for keeping it away, I find WD-40, then wiping the object with a rag works wonders, but again, it depends on the item you're preserving.

It really depends on the item and if it needs cleaning. I have used oxalic acid with good results but that would be too harsh for many items. This is a deep cleaning method. For minimal cleaning and rust prevention I really only used Break Free CLP with a scrubber or brass brush. I am not claiming that CLP is the best but has always worked for me. I do my annual wipe down on firearms with it as well. There are also items that should not be touched from what many have stated.
    John

MAP
    ?

Why don't you show a photo?

Before you do anything drastic and non-reversible, you should give Renaissance wax a try.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

WD-40 for everything I say just not bike chains grit sticks!!

?

Thanks for the advice. Here are some progress photos. Pretty happy how much rust came off but noticed today that metal is actually getting eaten away so think I shall leave it alone now.
    Rust removal and preventionRust removal and preventionRust removal and preventionRust removal and preventionRust removal and preventionRust removal and preventionRust removal and preventionRust removal and prevention

CSW
    ?

Definitely do not give it any more vinegar baths, it'd just destroy the buckle. A coat of Renaissance wax is all you need now. It really works unbelievably well - in fact way better than any other product I've used. DO NOT trust WD 40, speaking from experience.

MAP
    ?

Agree. Give RenWax a try. It's reversible. Nothing to lose.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

To me this item is now a test specimen, no preservation left and no offense intended. This is a good item to experiment with any and all options to learn how they react. Again, not offense meant or intended. I know I have offended a few members with my comments and I apologize in advance.
    John

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    To me this item is now a test specimen, no preservation left and no offense intended. This is a good item to experiment with any and all options to learn how they react. Again, not offense meant or intended. I know I have offended a few members with my comments and I apologize in advance.
    John
    Offended!! John!! Really!! who? that's my job!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast