Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stug found in Poland

Article about: Natrafili na niemieckie działo szturmowe - www.GazetaOlsztynska.pl - twoja lokalna informacja z Warmii i Mazur Sorry I cannot give you any details as my Polish is non existant But you can l

Default Stug found in Poland

Natrafili na niemieckie działo szturmowe - www.GazetaOlsztynska.pl - twoja lokalna informacja z Warmii i Mazur

Sorry I cannot give you any details as my Polish is non existant

But you can look at the pics and the video like me

If any Polish member could translate the article I would be very grateful.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Default Re: Stug found in Poland

Basically Ade ..

The stug was found in a village pond after 50 years and a attempt to recover it failed, then it was forgotten about.
    Then when it was rediscovered, a 7 man team went in, but 1st it was reported to the Police to stop any metal salvage hunters cutting it up for scrap. (Three other ones had been lost to scrap metal hunters !)

The Stug was lost in early 1945, with its crew onboard.

Around the stug there was lots of dangerous unexploded artillery shells, which had to be dealt with by the Army sappers, but at this point the ownership of the vehicle has not been determined, as items like this are property of the state unless otherwise deemed.
    So for the moment, the stug will stay where it is.

G.

Thanks Gary Very interesting.

Cheers, Ade.

This is not the same one as started this thread, but I will add it here out of interest. This one has been subject to several unsucessful efforts to remove it in the past. So well done to all concerned

Niesamowite odkrycie w Wielkopolsce - Onet.pl Wiadomo?ci - 11.07.2008

Cheers, Ade.

?

impresive

Hello,

I just came across this site yesterday and signed up. I'm fluent in Polish, so a quick translation (trying to follow the article as literally as possible) is as follows:

German assault gun found

In a small village in the area of Dobre Miasto (good city) during the course of digging a pond in a marshy area owned by a Canadian, a fragment of a German assault gun was found. According to history buffs, this is a Stug 40. During the 1950's the Army tried to recover this but to no avail. From that time, everyone seemed to forget about it- until now.

We came right away, as soon as we heard, said Mariusz Gebski, president of the Warminsko-Mazurski Historical Collectors Association of Lidzbark-Warminski. The police and conservator of treasures were notified right away so that this wouldn't end up in the wrong hands. There were only about 7 of these in this area. Three of them were cut up for scrap metal, so this is a rare occasion.

The stug 40, or assault gun, along with crew sank in January or February 1945. In the vicinity of the vehicle were a few dozen artillery rounds. The sappers took care of these. According to the law, everything in the ground belongs to the government, no matter who the owner of the land is, says Grzegorz Swietochowski, director of "treasures" stationary or mobile of the Office of Protection of Treasures in Olsztyn. For now we don't know what condition this vehicle is in because part of it is still underwater. We need to wait until it is pulled out along with its parts. Later we will figure out what will happen with it.

This treasure could be given to an organization or group interested in history or military vehicles.

-------

I hope this helps and is of interest. I'm really enjoying this site so far.

with regards,

Arthur

Hello,

I just came across this site yesterday and signed up. I'm fluent in Polish, so a quick translation (trying to follow the article as literally as possible) is as follows:

German assault gun found

In a small village in the area of Dobre Miasto (good city) during the course of digging a pond in a marshy area owned by a Canadian, a fragment of a German assault gun was found. According to history buffs, this is a Stug 40. During the 1950's the Army tried to recover this but to no avail. From that time, everyone seemed to forget about it- until now.

We came right away, as soon as we heard, said Mariusz Gebski, president of the Warminsko-Mazurski Historical Collectors Association of Lidzbark-Warminski. The police and conservator of treasures were notified right away so that this wouldn't end up in the wrong hands. There were only about 7 of these in this area. Three of them were cut up for scrap metal, so this is a rare occasion.

The stug 40, or assault gun, along with crew sank in January or February 1945. In the vicinity of the vehicle were a few dozen artillery rounds. The sappers took care of these. According to the law, everything in the ground belongs to the government, no matter who the owner of the land is, says Grzegorz Swietochowski, director of "treasures" stationary or mobile of the Office of Protection of Treasures in Olsztyn. For now we don't know what condition this vehicle is in because part of it is still underwater. We need to wait until it is pulled out along with its parts. Later we will figure out what will happen with it.

This treasure could be given to an organization or group interested in history or military vehicles.

-------

I hope this helps and is of interest. I'm really enjoying this site so far.

with regards,

Arthur

?

Quite remarkable

beorn
    ?

Yes that is remarkable! does any one know what is going to happen to the tank?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast