Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Track link fragment with shrapnel embedded? Please help ID

Article about: Hi! This is my first post here. Please take a look and help me ID this piece of iron. I found it in a crop field, Braila county, Romania. It was mostly buried but visible at the surface. I p

Default Track link fragment with shrapnel embedded? Please help ID

Hi!

This is my first post here.
    Please take a look and help me ID this piece of iron.
    I found it in a crop field, Braila county, Romania. It was mostly buried but visible at the surface.
    I placed more photos and a couple of videos in this Google Photo album, please visit:

Gropeni 13 - Google Photos

Archaeology is not my field, but still...
    I tried my first reverse electrolysis on this artefact.
    Then I sandblasted it a bit, also as an amateur.
    I try to come up with an idea about the nature of this relic.
    The only thing that makes sense to me is, possibly a fragment from a track link affected by shrapnel, so maybe a war relic.

Track link fragment with shrapnel embedded? Please help ID Track link fragment with shrapnel embedded? Please help ID

Track link fragment with shrapnel embedded? Please help ID Track link fragment with shrapnel embedded? Please help ID

It's 'fragments embedded'. Shrapnel are round balls projected from a shrapnel shell, fragmentation comes from normal high explosive munitions.
    Sorry, I've had a week of people using the wrong terminology!

Quote by vegetius View Post
    It's 'fragments embedded'. Shrapnel are round balls projected from a shrapnel shell, fragmentation comes from normal high explosive munitions.
    Sorry, I've had a week of people using the wrong terminology!
    Now you're just nitpicking.
    Yes Shrapnel was originally round lead shot filled into hollow Cannon Balls (invented by one of "your" dropshorts of the same Name). The Name however became synonomous with all fragmentation from Arty. Shells and soon Frag in general. It has stayed in common use ever since, whether the MOD find's it appropriate or not.