Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Treasure map to anyone who wants it.

Article about: I worked with an older German guy in 1990. He looked about WWII age and as I have always had an interest in WWII I asked him if he was in the war. I was expecting at most he would say he was

Default Treasure map to anyone who wants it.

I worked with an older German guy in 1990. He looked about WWII age and as I have always had an interest in WWII I asked him if he was in the war. I was expecting at most he would say he was a REMF in a supply unit or something similar, imagine my surprise when he said he was in the 17th Götz von Berlichingen SS division as, get this, a Panther tank driver. Needless to say he told me many incredible exploits of the war but one of the most interesting stories he told was of something that occurred before he went into the military. He said one day in 1942 him and two of his buddies observed a B-24 crash not far from there village, they immediately ran to it and as the came upon it from the rear he saw the tail gunner dead in his turret and one of the .50 caliber machine guns had been torn from it's mount and was laying on the ground. Him and his buddies instantly realized that would make an epic souvenir and picked it up and hauled ass to a nearby patch of woods and hid it. Later that same day the police came around asking if anyone had taken one of guns off the plane, he said he got scared he would get caught so they went back that night and took the gun and threw it into a little creek not far from his house. Coincidentally I had to go to Germany that same year for a job and I took the opportunity to rent a car and drive down from the Frankfurt airport to try and find it. I had him draw me a map of where he threw it. Unfortunately I couldn't find anywhere to buy or rent a metal detector so I didn't even try and actually find it. I did go the town and met up with one of his relatives who showed me the spot in the creek where he thinks it probably is. Anyway if anyone wants to try and see if it's still there I only ask that if you find it you post pictures of it on this forum. The town is called Linkenheim-Hochstetten. 105 Hauptstrasse is the house he used to live in. Treasure map to anyone who wants it.Treasure map to anyone who wants it.Treasure map to anyone who wants it.

I can see a stampede of detectorists making for the spot right now.

MAP
    ?

Right next to a playground too!

But seriously, given the location I am sure kids have walked in that stream for decades. If it is there, it was probably found.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Man...some poor guy's backyard is about to get all torn up

I'm sure that gun is long gone if it was just a shallow little creek

But boy, what fun! A treasure map! I think we've all dreamed of this when we were kids!

Would have been more fun if the "older German guy" had said he had buried SS gold bullion there.

A great story... but the US Air Force didn't make their first bombing raid on Germany until January 27th, 1943...

Cheers,
    Steve

It's been thirty years ago, he might have said 1943 I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure he was telling the truth, why would he have taken the time to draw that elaborate map and given me his relatives names and addresses when I told him I would be flying into Frankfurt and could run down there? I 'll tell you what if it's not there I will give you your money back.

A great thought but I think that goose will be pretty wild if he gets chased too much

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by m4a1sof View Post
    It's been thirty years ago, he might have said 1943 I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure he was telling the truth, why would he have taken the time to draw that elaborate map and given me his relatives names and addresses when I told him I would be flying into Frankfurt and could run down there? I 'll tell you what if it's not there I will give you your money back.
    Nope... it is clearly written on the map... 'early 42'.

I've always been sceptical of things like this ever since I was a kid and I found out there was no treasure on 'Treasure island'.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Nope... it is clearly written on the map... 'early 42'.

I've always been sceptical of things like this ever since I was a kid and I found out there was no treasure on 'Treasure island'.
    Aaaargh Jim Lad!!

Sorry but this is the stuff of a good night in the Mess Bar when the "ripping yarns" begin

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-14-2020 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast