Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ashtray WH

Article about: Hello collectors! I like to find out as much information as I can about the things I have in my collection. One of the newest additions. A crystal ashtray from the '75 staff. Infantry Divisi

?

Default Ashtray WH

Hello collectors!
    I like to find out as much information as I can about the things I have in my collection.
    One of the newest additions. A crystal ashtray from the '75 staff. Infantry Division. I would like to learn as much information as I can about this ashtray as well as general information about these silent witnesses of the time.I'm surprised that the ashtray says 1938 when the formation of this division dates back to 1939.
    (I apologize for my English).

Thanks for the comments.
    Ashtray WHAshtray WH
    Ashtray WHAshtray WH
    Ashtray WHAshtray WH
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ashtray WH  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ashtray WH
    P
    Many

Hello Papi.

The unit on the ashtray is -

I./Bataillon Infanterie Regiment 75, which was part of the 5. Infanterie Division.

The date on the ashtray is ok because the Regiment came into existence on the 15th of October 1935.

Infanterieregiment 75 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

5. Infanterie Division -

5.Infanterie-Division - Feldgrau

5. Infanteriedivision - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Your English is good!

Kind regards,

Will.

?

Great Will! Thank you for the new information, and for the praise of my English.
    I'll print out the new information on paper and put it in the ashtray. :-)
    Is it still possible to trace if this battalion remained in the 1st Light Infantry Division from 1941? Or how many of these ashtrays might have been from this unit? If they were packaged by officers, or if they were privately made to order? Sorry for a lot of questions. This item really captivated me. :-)

I am happy to help Papi.

The 75th Jäger Regiment (Jäger Regiment 75) was formed in France on 1 December 1941. That Regiment was created by renaming the Infanterie-Regiment 75. This Regiment was subordinated to the 5th Light Division (5. leichte Infanterie-Division). From July 1942, the regiment was subordinate to the 5th Jäger Division until the end of the war.

Jäger-Regiment 75 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

5. Jägerdivision -

It might have been ordered privately by someone from I./Bataillon and could be the only one. It is also possible that these were sold in large numbers at an Army base.
    Last edited by Willmore; 05-25-2024 at 01:41 AM.

MAP
    ?

That's a nice looking ash tray.

Loving a good cigar, I'm always on the lookout for military related ashtrays and accoutrements. This is one I would have picked up myself
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

You helped me a lot Will.. Thank you so much for your help.
    Unbelievable. Good luck!

?

Done! After 6 hours.
    I hope I didn't miss anything..

I./Bataillon Infanterie Regiment 75 was formed on 15 October 1935 as part of the 5th Infantry Division. The regimental headquarters was first established in Donaueschingen and later moved to Freiburg. The unit included Artillery Regiment 5, Observation Artillery Section 5 and Infantry Regiments 14, 56 and 75.

Deployment during the war:

On the Western Front, he participated in the campaign in Poland in 1939 and the campaign against France in 1940. He was then transferred to the Eastern Front, where he participated in the invasion of the Soviet Union in the Wjasma region in 1941. In late 1941, it was moved from France to Wjasma and renamed Jäger-Regiment 75.

Operation Brückenschlag and the fighting at the Demjan Cauldron:

From January 1942, the 5th Light Infantry Division, where the Jäger Division was incorporated, participated in Operation Brückenschlag. The goal of the operation was to free the German troops stuck in the Demjanské Kotli. Jäger-Regiment 75 played an important role in this operation and faced strong attacks by Soviet troops. The fighting at the Demjan Cauldron was extremely fierce and brutal, with intense clashes in a small area.

Battles in the Staraya Russa region:

After the successful liberation of the Demjansky Cauldron, Jäger-Regiment 75 moved to the Staraya Russa area, where it continued its combat operations. The fighting in this area was characterized by frequent attacks by Soviet forces trying to slow down the advance of German troops.

Retreat via Vitebsk, Kovel and Narev:

During 1944, the 5th Jäger Division, including Jäger-Regiment 75, had to withdraw from the Eastern Front due to advancing Soviet forces. The retreat of the division led through the areas of Vitebsk, Kovel and Narev, where it participated in defensive operations and a gradual retreat from enemy forces.

Battle of Berlin:

In early 1945, the 5th Jäger Division was involved in the fighting around Neustettin and Dramburg, and later also in the Battle of Berlin. These last struggles were extremely intense and brutal, and eventually led to the fall of the Nazi regime.

Overall, the fighting under the 5th Jäger Division was characterized by fierce encounters, bravery of soldiers and immense casualties on both sides. Jäger-Regiment 75 played a significant role in these battles and its story is inextricably linked to the history of the Second World War. I do not have specific information on the estimated number of losses, as they may vary depending on the source and the specific period.

A soldier who owned an ashtray marked with the unit I./J.R. 75 - 1938, was probably part of this unit or connected with it in some way. During his service, he was able to experience a wide variety of events and situations that were typical for soldiers during World War II. This could include taking part in fighting on different fronts, such as the invasion of Poland, France or the Soviet Union, and taking part in the various operations and battles that took place during the course of the war.

A soldier of this unit could be involved in heavy fighting on the Eastern Front, such as the battles at the Demyansk Cauldron or the retreat through Vitebsk, Kovel and Narev. These events were extremely demanding and stressful, and the soldier would be exposed to danger, fear and emotional stress.

The owner of the ashtray may have witnessed much loss and suffering, and may have experienced harsh conditions at the front, including fighting in bad weather and lack of supplies. Although each soldier's specific experiences may have been different, it is likely that the owner of this ashtray went through many difficult and dangerous situations during his military service.

?

what year was this manufactured?
    I love it!

?

Is it possible to show better pictures of the proof marks? Unlike British silver the German regulations do not require a date letter. It is German silver because of the half moon with crown mark followed by the silver content (835/1000). The 53 could mean anything, from a date to a model or order number, so doesn’t bring us further. The last mark, should be the maker. Perhaps with a sharp close up, it can be identified.

I do not think it belonged to an individual soldier who carried it in his rucksack into battle and I wonder what the significance of the 1938 date is.

?

Most probably 1938. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast