Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Dart board/ target

Article about: Hello all.....just got this nice looking piece today which I believe to be period but would like some additional thoughts from the community and to see if my assumptions are correct Sold as

Default Dart board/ target

Hello all.....just got this nice looking piece today which I believe to be period but would like some additional thoughts from the community and to see if my assumptions are correct

Sold as a “folk art dartboard “....after looking and just thinking about it I went for it because i think it was a target or gag gift from the period which was later used as dartboard

Details
    Solid wood, hand painted 19.25 inches/ 49 cm across
    Issued by Oberleutnante D(?) Berchem 2 Zugführer(squad leader)
    Shot by radioman Siegfried Fillebock
    Dated August 3, 1933
    What appears to be several bullet holes
    Shot after being painted

Backside
    Both names are written again and “scheibe 1” which I think is “disc 1”
    Bullet holes are numbered but numbers exceed actual holes …not counting misses?

Questions....
    Wondering if those with more knowledge on early Wehrmacht training think the target assumption is plausible?

Why Indian soldiers ?....seems weird

So.....what do you think......thanks for looking

Pics
    Dart board/ target
    Dart board/ target
    Dart board/ target
    Dart board/ target

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dart board/ target
    P
    Many

Maybe the numbers represent yards?
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Hello KatManDude,

it is definitely not a dart board! This target is a "Ehrenscheibe/disc of honor", which is also known as the "Königsscheibe/king's disc". It is a traditional award for shooting competitions in southern Germany, Niedersachsen/Lower Saxony and Austria. Discs of honor are donated and shot in honor of a person, on the occasion of a birthday, wedding or a prize shooting, for example. In Bayern/Bavaria and Niedersachsen/Lower Saxony, king discs are awarded to the winner of the "Königsschießen/king's shooting" as a prize and are often attached to the gable of his residence as a badge of honor that is visible from afar. The king's shooting comes from the tradition of the civic shooting and is used to determine the "Schützenkönig/shooting king" (best shooter). The exciting thing about this “competition” is that a person is blindfolded and stabs the honor disc once with a knife to determine the target for the shooters. Also the target mirrors are often covered so that it is not easy for the shooter to hit the target.

Although it was originally a civilian tradition, it was also adopted by the military for prize shootings, presumably by members of the military who were also in civilian shooting clubs.

Discs of honor are made of wood and are hand-painted with a motif appropriate to the occasion. In the 18th and 19th centuries, a lot of effort was made with these awards and they were designed in a particularly elaborate manner. So it is completely normal that these discs of honor are painted first before they are shot out. If it were different, it certainly wouldn't be a real one.

As for the soldiers in the picture, they may be Sikh units. During World War I, approximately 138,000 Sikh served in Entente Powers units. During World War II large numbers of Sikhs served in U.S. forces and Sikh units of the Indian and Commonwealth forces served under Allied command alongside or in cooperation with U.S. forces.

The inscription:

Front:
    "Gegeben von h. (Herrn) Oberleutnant v. (von) Berchem 2. Zugf. (Zugführer)
    Erschossen von Funker Siegf. (Siegfried) Filleböck" /
    "Given by Mr. Lieutenant von Berchem 2. Platoon leader
    August 3, 1933
    Shot by radio operator Siegfried Filleböck"

The small v (it is not a D) in front of the lieutenant's surname stands for "von" and means that he came from a noble family.

Back:
    "Scheibe 1/disc 1"

I hope this can help you.

Best regards
    Wolf
    Last edited by Wolf; 06-02-2021 at 02:17 AM.

Holy cow....thanks for the detail, I felt it wasn’t a dartboard in the beginning.....I had never even heard or seen these before.....thanks for the detail!…………I think I did alright

Certainly a unique item!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thanks for the info Wolf.

A few years ago I went shooting at a small club in Austria. They had many similar targets on display.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by KatManDude View Post
    Hello all.....just got this nice looking piece today which I believe to be period but would like some additional thoughts from the community and to see if my assumptions are correct

Sold as a “folk art dartboard “....after looking and just thinking about it best darts accessories I went for it because i think it was a target or gag gift from the period which was later used as dartboard

Details
    Solid wood, hand painted 19.25 inches/ 49 cm across
    Issued by Oberleutnante D(?) Berchem 2 Zugführer(squad leader)
    Shot by radioman Siegfried Fillebock
    Dated August 3, 1933
    What appears to be several bullet holes
    Shot after being painted

Backside
    Both names are written again and “scheibe 1” which I think is “disc 1”
    Bullet holes are numbered but numbers exceed actual holes …not counting misses?

Questions....
    Wondering if those with more knowledge on early Wehrmacht training think the target assumption is plausible?

Why Indian soldiers ?....seems weird

So.....what do you think......thanks for looking

Pics
    Dart board/ target
    Dart board/ target
    Dart board/ target
    Dart board/ target
    I was brainstorming yesterday on how to make this awesome sport even better... While I was brainstorming I was having a few beers playing darts with a friend. We got to thinking that a dart board archery target would be a pretty fun idea to play 301,501,701 or even cricket... Has anyone built one?