Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Glass Goblet

Article about: I was able to procure this for my collection. Was surprised it photographed so well and is nicer in person than the sellers photos showed. I felt for the money I offered I can live with the

?

Default Glass Goblet

I was able to procure this for my collection. Was surprised it photographed so well and is nicer in person than the sellers photos showed. I felt for the money I offered I can live with the small investment made to have this piece. Was able to get for a reasonable price and it looks cool with my NSKK items. Given it would be hard to prove not wartime crafted or post war crafted I rolled the dice. I consulted with 20-25 dealers and collectors over 3 weeks. None could give me a definitive yes or no. Nobody has seen one like it and based on my friend who deals in glass he felt it was 1930s-1940s vintage. It was not a blank piece and was for certain hand crafted. It is not perfect and has some bubbles in glass. The gilding is nice. Very heavy and about 8 1/2" tall. Horst and I would have loved to seen a nicer etched Adler but it is what it is.

Was it a homemade piece crafted for someone as wedding gift? Presentation piece for an event? Was it a glass blower who was a nazi sympathizer messing around in his shop? The nazis were into the occult so could it have some other purpose? I will never know and many others don't either so it will all be speculative and opinions. I am willing to accept not knowing which is hard for me. Seeing a maker's mark, having a artist stamp or signature or seeing a period photo would always make the purist in me feel better. So as it stands it is just a unicorn in my collection.

Glass Goblet

Glass Goblet

Glass Goblet

Glass Goblet

Glass Goblet

Glass Goblet

Glass Goblet

Glass Goblet

Glass Goblet

Glass Goblet
    Attached Images Attached Images Glass Goblet 
    Last edited by Rossi; 10-30-2021 at 11:21 PM.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Glass Goblet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Very well photographed Kirk. Much better than the original photos. I like it.

As you said, a "unicorn" for sure. And worth the gamble, even though I don't think we will ever know for sure unless we start seeing more and more hit the market. But I've only seen 3 examples (all different) for as long as I've been collecting. As such, I would guess it is a item made by a small time shop and not widely produced / sold.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Very well photographed Kirk. Much better than the original photos. I like it.

As you said, a "unicorn" for sure. And worth the gamble, even though I don't think we will ever know for sure unless we start seeing more and more hit the market. But I've only seen 3 examples (all different) for as long as I've been collecting. As such, I would guess it is a item made by a small time shop and not widely produced / sold.

Thanks Michael, Yes. I concur and it is a nice piece. Looks good in the war room under good lighting. We likely shall never know about it.

CBH
    ?

You can sometimes detect signs of age, by looking at the bottom edge, where it makes contact. This surface will get small scratches over time, in a random pattern.

?

Quote by CBH View Post
    You can sometimes detect signs of age, by looking at the bottom edge, where it makes contact. This surface will get small scratches over time, in a random pattern.
    Yes. Chris. Spot on. There are many small scratches on the base bottom and near base edge gilded gold lip. My friend as well stated the same thing on an aged glass piece to look at as well. He felt in his opinion it was a 1930s or 1940s hand crafted piece. He however could not be 100% certain either. Hope you are well. Rossi
    Last edited by Rossi; 10-26-2021 at 03:05 PM.

?

Some photos of goblet in box with monogrammed linen I finally got around to photographing. Monogrammed initials were for the wedding of Johanna and Berthold from Bamberg, Germany.

Glass Goblet

Glass Goblet

Glass Goblet

Glass Goblet

Glass Goblet

Glass Goblet

Glass Goblet
    Last edited by Rossi; 11-13-2021 at 05:00 AM.