Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

NSDAP Eagle

Article about: My new addition. A nice big NSDAP Eagle. Damaged and and starting to crumble, this proud old lady needs some help.. The plaster like material is gradually deteriorating and she also has been

I tried a lighter filler, but it didn't build up the width of the side of the wings.
    So I've used a car filler to do that, then I will use a thinner paste to smooth out the filler scratches.
    The hardest part is getting the filler to build up the edges of the wings that are missing/broken off.

I'm getting there.. and the marble towers have arrived!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NSDAP Eagle
    P
    Many

Any updated pics??
    Mil

Default Update.

Here it is now, after some more work done to it.

Because the stringy material keeps flaking and coming apart in pieces, it's hard to get the wing edges sorted.

It needs 2/3 attempts to get the aquired shape/thickness/curves properly.

Top picture, is about as near as I think I'll get it?

The darker colour pictures of the second eagle, show the flaky stringy stuff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NSDAP Eagle   NSDAP Eagle  

NSDAP Eagle   NSDAP Eagle  

NSDAP Eagle  

Nice. How will you get the same colour of finish in gold?

Mil

Just around the corner, literally ten minutes walk away, is a car paint shop and it can match any colour.

As the darker Eagle is the correct sort of dark gold, they've got a gold aerosol can and it's a metallic gold colour.

When this dries, it matches the colour perfectly, when I finally get to put some paint on it I'll see if it comes out correct?

If not, I'll ask them to mix a darker gold, the colour chips I was shown, did suggest that it does dry darker.

Latest update.. finally got some primer on one side of the wings.

At last some sun shine and I was able to get a couple of hours of work done.

It's been a little harder than I first thought and I wanted to make sure the repairs matched the condition of the rest of the eagle.

In it's life time, it's been knocked about a fair bit ,with scratches, chips and overall in a poor condition now.

I didn't want the repairs looking perfect, so I left some holes and scratches, to match it up, looking all it's seventy years.

On the other side, more filler is added to try and get the curved shapes of the wing segments.

The hardest part, is building up the edges that have broken off and trying to make it look acceptable.

Once I get the other side primered, a good rub down with sand paper and hopefully some paint will be added?

I'll have a better idea on the colour match and if it's ok, I will give it another rub down and give it a final couple of top coats.

Nearly there
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NSDAP Eagle   NSDAP Eagle  

NSDAP Eagle  

First time I’ve seen this thread.. great job on the restoration.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

It's coming along now Marty, may be tomorrow I'll be able to do some more work and some gold paint added.

The other side of the wings have now got a first coat of primer.

A quick rub down with fine sand paper and another coat to help cover the little scratches.

I will then give it a good sanding down, dry it, then hopefully cover the red primer with Gold paint.

Slowly the eagle is returning back to life..

Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 04-23-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Looking really good. I can’t wait to see her in gold.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast