Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NSDAP wall eagle, tin, RZM

Article about: Hello friends, I would be grateful for opinions on this piece. Made of pressed tin, approx. 50 x 30cm, it has a curious RZM stamp to the rear: rather large, a little crude, embossed into a s

?

Default NSDAP wall eagle, tin, RZM

Hello friends,

I would be grateful for opinions on this piece. Made of pressed tin (?), approx. 50 x 30cm, it has a curious RZM stamp to the rear: rather large, a little crude, embossed into a separate disc attached (soldered?) to the back of the swastika roundel. Beneath is marked, I believe, 'Sv7', and around is a makers mark which is hard to decipher even in the hand: I can see 'Sohn', then possibly 'Arel Sass' or perhaps 'Abel Sass', 'Hamburg'. As can be seen in the photos the swastika wreath was previously broken off, and has been repaired crudely with a type of epoxy. The black finish of the swastika has what appear to be visible brush-strokes - re-painted, or period done? Hm.

If original, what might this eagle have adorned? I have looked through the many threads on wall eagles here and have not seen one of a similar design (mostly railway types), with the rather tall head etc. A podium? An office wall? We'll probably never know.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Fiore; 05-29-2022 at 11:12 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NSDAP wall eagle, tin, RZM
    P
    Many

It is quite impressive.

I wouldn't know if it is genuine or a post war reproduction but it would make a nice display with a military grouping.

Is it magnetic? It looks to have a copper or toned brass base.

It looks to be light weight enough to be transported around or as you say on the front of a podium.

All the best
    Doug

?

Not magnetic, no. Pretty sure it's just pressed tin. I believe tin can discolour over time to that yellowish-copper tinge, but not 100% sure. There could be some other metals in there.

It wouldn't be just tin...If it was it would be plating something either steel or ?

I have seen similar decorative pieces with a more unusual eagle but they are generally made from pressed cardboard with a silver paint.

?

Sure, I'm no metallurgist; it was advertised simply as tin (German 'blech').

Ah! so I wonder if it is a zinc base tinned over to prevent tarnish and oxidisation.

Still it's a nice decorative piece.

?

Update: a bit of light pencil rubbing reveals the maker as Schnapfl & Sass, Hamburg

?

Quote by Saladin View Post
    Ah! so I wonder if it is a zinc base tinned over to prevent tarnish and oxidisation.
    Like as not!

?

Quote by Fiore View Post
    Update: a bit of light pencil rubbing reveals the maker as Schnapfl & Sass, Hamburg

Update 2: The maker mark is, in fact, SCHNABEL & Sass, and they are still in business doing metalwork to this day - founded in Hamburg in 1906!

Schnabel und Sass GmbH - Ihre Schlosserei in Hamburg

Not one I would want.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast