Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Presentation Plate Help Her Lut. Westphal

Article about: I have been trying to research this presentation plate as well as Herrn Oberleutnant (I assume 1st Luetenant) Westphal. I am only able to come up with one person who became a high ranking of

Default Presentation Plate Help Her Lut. Westphal

I have been trying to research this presentation plate as well as Herrn Oberleutnant (I assume 1st Luetenant) Westphal. I am only able to come up with one person who became a high ranking officer so I do not believe that is correct. I am assuming there would be more Westphal's in the Heer. I also found a Westphal currently serving the the German Army but do not know if related. I also do not know what the purpose of the plate was. I am assuming it was related to winter or Christmas action in 1941, but do not know for exactly what. The plate looks good to me with some patina and proper markings. Silver plated. Any help and opinions is greatly appreciated. Tough to take pictures of a shiny surface so quality is not the greatest. Thanks for looking.
    John

Presentation Plate Help  Her Lut. WestphalPresentation Plate Help  Her Lut. WestphalPresentation Plate Help  Her Lut. WestphalPresentation Plate Help  Her Lut. Westphal

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Presentation Plate Help  Her Lut. Westphal
    P
    Many

Hi John, it would have been a Christmas gift.

Clearly a period item, but as ever with items like this, it is when the engraving was applied which is key.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks for the reply. Would this have any military significance or a personal gift from friends or family? Personal gift from Adolf himself.

John

I would most likely have been a gift from fellow officers of the unit.

My only concern would be the unit: given that "GD" is the most famous army unit of the time, this makes me a little weary of the inscription. Had it been from a less well known unit I would be much more confident of it.

I am not saying it is wrong, just tread careful.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

What Ade said. The inscription translates as:

"TO OBERLEUTNANT
    WESTPHAL
    CHRISTMAS 1941
    THE 4th COMPANY, GUARD BATTALION BERLIN
    'GROSSDEUTSCHLAND'
    "

(I won't bore you with the details of German grammar, but briefly spoken: The use of the form of address "Herr" with the ending "-n" shows that the plate was presented to (not by) Westphal and the use of the definite article before the unit designation shows that it was said unit who made the presentation.)
    Last edited by HPL2008; 05-01-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Check out those hallmarks on the plate. It may be better than "silver plated."

Thank you for the additional information. I will look into the hallmarks. It is an interesting piece.

Where is a good site to research if Westphal was actually in THE 4th COMPANY, GUARD BATTALION BERLIN? I have been struggling to find good information. Is the opinion this item has been enhanced or faked?

John

hi,

i think it is a fake from the 70ties or later...
    1. the hallmark is not common for those kind of gifts
    2. i dont like the letters and the design of these ...also no patina
    3. the content of the words are to "personal" , its sounds like to easy ...a better start would have been "dem oberleutnant ...."
    ( falls es jemand auf englisch übersetzen kann , die formulierung der widmung ist mir persönlich zu "salopp" und das allg. schriftbild nicht altersgemäß. danke ) .

regards t.

I am still working on trying to figure this item out. First original or reproduction and then the name Westphal. I have come up empty handed. Can I get some additional opinions on original or fake from the 70's? I have only come up with a couple of Wesphal's that were 1st lieutenants and they go down a path of more decorated individuals. This makes me a bit suspicious but it came from a member in good standing at WAF. Any addition help or direction is appreciated.
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast