Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Saucer Waffen SS 1942

Article about: Helo. Do you think this saucer is original?

Default Saucer Waffen SS 1942

Helo. Do you think this saucer is original?

Saucer Waffen SS 1942 Saucer Waffen SS 1942

Saucer Waffen SS 1942 Saucer Waffen SS 1942

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Saucer Waffen SS 1942
    P
    Many

That is certainly an odd-looking Reich Adler, if that is what is. I hesitate to judge this saucer's authenticity because I know so little about these things, but this item does not look genuine to me. The plate is definitely used, indicating age, but the Waffen SS looks too new to me. My daughter-in law has a business personalizing ordinary, inexpensive cups, glasses, bowls and any other porcelain or ceramic item. Her computer created work looks like it was there when the dishware came out of the kiln. She can put anything anyone wants on ceramic and glass ware, including Waffen SS. Dwight

I would agree. I just can't think this looks at all likely as being an authentic mark.

I wrote that what appears to be a Reichadler on the underside of the saucer is rather odd. I found this one that is very similar in a Reibert Cavalry Manual, Der Dienst Unterricht im Heere: Ausgabe für den Reiter, Berlin: Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn, 1938, 106. It is called Kleiner Dragoner-Adler Einnerungsabzeichen (Small Dragoon-Eagle commemorative badge) and was designated to be worn only by the 2nd and 4th Companies of the 6th Cavalry Regiment.
    Saucer Waffen SS 1942
    In my opinion, this indicates that the little bird was added to the saucer, together with the Waffen SS and date. Dwight

personally I stay away from these type of plates, bowls etc.....I can't speak to this one but i recently found a lot of examples on the net which always makes me wonder.....but, more importantly, I went to the local antique street fair last summer and a fellow had three plates marked as SS...at first glance they look good but when I had it in hand and looked at it at an angle in the light I could see what looked like a separate application of the SS marking with a faint outer square edge...just my thoughts