Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

SS Kommandantur kz Auschwitz” (SS commandant's office at Auschwitz concentration camp) metal enamel sign

Article about: Not sure if this is the correct place in the forum to post this, but I have a friend that owns this “SS Kommandantur kz Auschwitz” (SS commandant's office at Auschwitz concentration camp

Default SS Kommandantur kz Auschwitz” (SS commandant's office at Auschwitz concentration camp) metal enamel sign

Not sure if this is the correct place in the forum to post this, but I have a friend that owns this “SS Kommandantur kz Auschwitz” (SS commandant's office at Auschwitz concentration camp) metal enamel sign. The bottom of the sign is marked: PYRO-EMAL 1942, Boos & Hahn Ortenburg Baden. The back is painted yellow. All of the metal enamel signs that I have seen from the Third Reich have been unfinished or black. When I asked my friend to tell me about the sign he didn’t know much about it. My question to you is is it authentic or is it a fantasy piece? Many of the Holocaust items that I’ve come across have not been authentic.

Looking forward to your response.

Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Kommandantur kz Auschwitz” (SS commandant's office at Auschwitz concentration camp) metal enamel sign   SS Kommandantur kz Auschwitz” (SS commandant's office at Auschwitz concentration camp) metal enamel sign  

SS Kommandantur kz Auschwitz” (SS commandant's office at Auschwitz concentration camp) metal enamel sign   SS Kommandantur kz Auschwitz” (SS commandant's office at Auschwitz concentration camp) metal enamel sign  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Kommandantur kz Auschwitz” (SS commandant's office at Auschwitz concentration camp) metal enamel sign
    P
    Many

I would think that the chances of that being genuine are much less than zero.

Hi there.

I have moved your thread to a more appropriate section of the forum.

Kind regards,

Will.

Totally embellished fantasy sign...

Look at period photos of KL Auschwitz and I doubt you will find any that show a sign showing where the Commandant would have his office...

Smitty

Here is an original enamel sign from the makers.. Notice the font, printing style and other attributes from the maker.

Enamel sign Ortsbauernfuhrer

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Totally embellished fantasy sign...

Look at period photos of KL Auschwitz and I doubt you will find any that show a sign showing where the Commandant would have his office...

Smitty

Here is an original enamel sign from the makers.. Notice the font, printing style and other attributes from the maker.

Enamel sign Ortsbauernfuhrer
    Hello Smitty,

Thank you for your response. In my research I came across the same enamel sign as you mentioned. Yes, I saw the font style difference as well. My opinion when my friend sent me the photos was that it was a fantasy item. So, we are on the same page. I just wanted a second opinion. Thank you. I will tell him.

- - ------- - -

Thank you Will. I appreciate it.

It is a sad situation that there are still those who try to profit from others suffering and even sadder that there are folks who will believe that these items are authentic and real. Anything with a Totenkopf (Deaths Head) KL, swastika and names of the camps put together is a virtual nightmare unless solid provenance can be established.

There is (are) some books that discuss fake and reproduction holocaust items, (Counterfeiting the Holocaust by Alec Tulkoff) mostly the armbands, KAPO discs and uniforms. I have not seen one yet that discusses enamel signs and the like but period images of the buildings in the camps do not show too many signs..

Not trying to insult your friend, hopefully they did not spend a lot of money on this.

CARL who is a member here is one of the most informed and knowledgeable when it comes to the Holocaust, and he has spent years studying and travelling to the camps providing insightful tours and above all and most important Education on the subject. His passion for informing and educating us about the Holocaust is remarkable..

Smitty

?

I +1 everything that has been written so far.

Every collector in 3rd Reich militaria needs to remember the golden rules. One of them is: When there are too many swastikas, runic symbols, skulls or eagles which do not make sense together, run away. This metal sign has everything slapped on and is a pure fantasy piece.