Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

SS Sig Runes Wooden Plaque

Article about: Hello all! Recently purchased this for myself as I’ve always liked the style of the sig runes and thought it was an attractive piece. Nicely carved and a pleasing decorative feature in my

?

Default SS Sig Runes Wooden Plaque

Hello all!

Recently purchased this for myself as I’ve always liked the style of the sig runes and thought it was an attractive piece. Nicely carved and a pleasing decorative feature in my eye.

It very well could be the case that this is a one-off piece, or at least one of very few, but what are your folks’ thoughts on it being a contemporary piece? Any thoughts on the style, colour, form, hanging hard wear, and of course the stamp and Berlin pencil etching will be appreciated.

It’s not a large piece, measuring in at 25X19 cm.

It’s a nice carving in any case.

Thank you!

Duncan. ⭐️

Last edited by Oroman; 09-23-2023 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Posted too early.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Sig Runes Wooden Plaque
    P
    Many

I wouldn't consider this a period piece. Carved items like this are faked all the time, due to their nature of being one-off pieces as you've already observed. If it were an original piece and marked on the back, you'd expect a full maker marking, rather than simply having the word 'Berlin'. The eagle stamp is most likely put there to entice, as it doesn't really have any meaning in of itself. As a hand-carved item, it likely wouldn't have had any official markings anyway, besides maybe a signature from the guy who made it.

The price tag would be another point to look at. SS items, even handmade ones, are never cheap!

B.B.

?

Thank you for this, B.B.

I thought as much. Your point about the eagle stamp is something I had considered myself.

It's a "made by a man in a shed" piece for sure - but it does have rustic character ( not a mass churned out product ) so that I like about it.

Someones put some effort in to carve it - maybe as a reminder of their service or a HIAG ( Mutual aid association of former Waffen-SS members ) item?

Enjoy it for what it is - and up on a wall in a display would be a nice use, just don't expect to flip it for a profit.

?

I agree with all of the above also, and you make an interesting proposition about the possibility of a relation to the service due to the effort put into it. It’s well carved for sure.

I don’t collect much and I’m still learning how to decipher contemporary items of this nature from postwar. It’s easier with medals and awards where you have good documentation, record and maker marks and such, but I’m still learning in this area too.

I have some other bits to post over the coming days and weeks which I’m seeking opinions on also.

The stuff I usually buy comes in mixed lots of real and copy items. I’m able to tell some, but not all.

Never ceases to amaze me just how much fantasy and copy material is out there!

Where there's a market, there's a maker....

looks nice but eagle on reverse screams current manufacture..

?

Period or not ,if it fits into your collection thats the point . makes for a nice display.
    Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

It could be period made and the eagle stamp and berlin were added post war at some point just to maybe help it sell for more, and in their mind to add to its originality, you have to really think about how many hands these items have passed through over the past eight decades, you never know what someone was thinking way back when and for what ever reason. It looks old and who ever made it had talent.