Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stoneware jug dated 1933 with 'Verbandstag am Deutschen' Art or Exotica?

Article about: I have recently acquired a half litre stoneware jug with 'Verbanstag am Deutschen' inscribed and a date of 1933 with a swastika above. I have been told that it's a Westerwald style jug and i

Default Stoneware jug dated 1933 with 'Verbandstag am Deutschen' Art or Exotica?

I have recently acquired a half litre stoneware jug with 'Verbanstag am Deutschen' inscribed and a date of 1933 with a swastika above.

I have been told that it's a Westerwald style jug and it commemorates an association of some sort with Germany. It has an inset with what looks like Frederick the Great on a horse atop a
    unknown panorama or city. This seems the most preferable option.

It cannot though be ignored that it has a large swastika under the rim and the 1933 date is
    the year that a certain Austrian individual became der Fuhrer of Germany.
    I am unsure whether any association, or verbandstag, involving the Reich, and another party
    or country, would be celebrated with an inscription on a jug.

Any information about this article would be gratefully received.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stoneware jug dated 1933 with 'Verbandstag am Deutschen' Art or Exotica?   Stoneware jug dated 1933 with 'Verbandstag am Deutschen' Art or Exotica?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stoneware jug dated 1933 with 'Verbandstag am Deutschen' Art or Exotica?
    P
    Many

Sorry, no information but it looks of the period to me.

MAP
    ?

Are there any markings on the bottom? This is not something I know anything about but sometimes it provides some clues
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Lightbulb

It's an interesting item. It certainly looks like a 'Westerwald' salt-glazed wine carafe, as indicated by the grape design which is quite common in Germany. These items often have no identification marks on the base.
    I'm afraid that I can't help with the inscription & date (beyond the obvious...) ; maybe someone else can identify the architecture ?

Sorry for the delay in getting back. It has a small circle on the base but nothing distinguishable can
    be seen. Thank you

Thank you for your help. I am still trying to find out more history, but so far you're absolutely right about the glaze, the make and it having no distinguishable marks on the base. Perhaps I can let you know when I find out more on it's history and the architecture?

Martyboy; Something is missing here. “Verband” has several connotations having to do with binding, joining, or fastening together, while the phrase, “Verbandstag am Deutschen” is incomplete and as such has no meaning, leaving us with the question, am deutschen what? “Deutchen” as used here is an adjective that is a noun modifier and as such should be spelled with a lower case “d.” the adverb “am” implies that the missing noun is either masculine or neuter. All of these errors lead me to believe that the piece might not have been made in Germany. A couple of extra photos of the entire phrase might help, but we are still left with the missing noun. Dwight

Hi Dwight,

I get what you mean. After the 'Deutschen' there is a set of symbols which are
    difficult to decipher. I have attached a picture of these letters and hope you may be able
    to understand them and make sense of it all.

Best wishes, Marty.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stoneware jug dated 1933 with 'Verbandstag am Deutschen' Art or Exotica?  

Martyboy; is the entire phrase, "Verbanstag am Deutschen Eck"? If so we still have a problem. I have never seen Eck as a stand alone word, but I have seen it as a family name. For example, Heinz Wilhelm Eck who was the only U-boat captain executed for a war crime after WW2. I did find a brief reference in a 1906 edition of Heath's German and English Dictionary that said Eck is a noun Meaning edge, corner, or angle, but I did not find a similar reference in my other dictionaries. Dwight

Hi Dwight,

The lettering on the front reads as: '49 Verbandstag am Deutschen' and then the 3
    symbols/letters in my last picture. I have look at some of the old type Germanic fonts and believe the 3 letters are E c P.
    Marty.
    Last edited by martyboy; 10-14-2021 at 02:18 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast