Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ww2 art pieces

Article about: Hello everyone, I bought these period art pieces on an auction. Was curious if anyone has seen any of these pieces in print, or perhaps, maybe familiar with the artist, K.H. Brüning. Some a

Default Ww2 art pieces

Hello everyone,
    I bought these period art pieces on an auction. Was curious if anyone has seen any of these pieces in print, or perhaps, maybe familiar with the artist, K.H. Brüning. Some are dated. Most are quite nice.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww2 art pieces   Ww2 art pieces  

Ww2 art pieces   Ww2 art pieces  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ww2 art pieces
    P
    Many

Default The rest.....

The rest.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww2 art pieces   Ww2 art pieces  

Ww2 art pieces  

Kristian; those are interesting pencil drawings that span the period WWI-WWII. The first drawing, captioned, Weinachten im Schützgraben, “Christmas in the trenches,” depicts a scene from WWI, with the soldiers wearing Pickelhauben.
    The second drawing could be either WWI or WWII and seems to be a poster, or was intended to be a poster. The style seems to me to be more WWI than WWII and the helmet seems to have a lug on the side that was typical of WWI.
    The third poster-like drawing might be WWI or WWII. The caption, Ihr folter Schmeiden, literally translates as “You forge Torture.” The two characters on the knight’s left represent Britain and France, whereas the other two are not identified but might have been the U.S and Russia, indicating WWII, or just there to balance the scene, in which case it is probably WWI.
    The fourth drawing is clearly dated 1942 and it looks like another poster.
    The fifth drawing, captioned Der erste Urlaub, "the First Leave," is from the Weimar Republic era.
    I cannot find anything on a German artist, K. H. Brüning in John Castagno’s “Artist’s Signatures” listing of every known German artist. K. H. Brüning might have been a gifted amateur. Dwight
    Last edited by drmessimer; 03-14-2020 at 09:20 PM.

Very nice work.

Dr. Messimer
    Thank you, for the informative reply. The 3rd picture, has a quote on top. For some reason, when posting on this forum, I have to crop images, into a square, or else they come out sideways, and I accidentally cropped out the top. Something with taking images with my phone and posting then, took me forever to figure this out. Anyway, I searched German artists as well, and think you're right, a talented amateur. Im going to take a pic of the top so you can see thank you. Also, not a bad grab for €30!

Default 3rd pic.....

Here is the 3rd pic again, not cropped.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww2 art pieces  

Kristian; thanks for the updated post. It looks to me that the entire caption is, Nicht zerstören werdet Ihr’s; Ihr werdet’s Folter schmieden that literally translates as “You won't destroy it; You're going to forge torture.” The problem is that the artist probably used a square bib to write the caption, a common practice when writing Fraktur text, and it is hard to be sure that I am seeing Folter when in fact it might be another word. The issue is the “l” and the “t,” which are not really clear. Rather than a literal translation, it might me more accurately translated as “You won't destroy it (Germany); You're (only) going to create torment.” It would seem to me that the message the poster is intended to give is that all the effort the Allies were exerting were nothing more than a nuisance to Germany.
    I think you got a terrific deal buying those for just 30 Euros. Dwight