Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Italian T.35 Gas Mask and a ??? Gas Mask

Article about: The first group of photos is of an Italian Parelli T.35 gas mask I picked up off of Ebay a week or so ago. I had no idea what it was, It was poorly photographed with the container so I assum

Default Italian T.35 Gas Mask and a ??? Gas Mask

The first group of photos is of an Italian Parelli T.35 gas mask I picked up off of Ebay a week or so ago. I had no idea what it was, It was poorly photographed with the container so I assumed it to be German but could not identify it. It sold cheep enough so I figured I’d have better luck identifying it once I got it in my hands on it. It turns out, that was the case but also turned out not to be a German mask as anticipated. None the less, the Italian T.35 makes a great addition to my son’s collection. Not sure about the filter, no markings on it and I’m not sure it even belongs with this mask. As for the container, it obviously does not belong with this mask so maybe it’s just an added bonus and makes a pretty decent stand for the mask for photographing. I don’t know anything about these containers and this one does not have a single marking, that I can find. It stands about 10 inches tall and just under 5 inches across, I took a few photos in hopes that someone might be of some help. The strap was also all bundled up inside the canister with the mask, not sure if it belongs or not but it looks like it might belong to something important.

The second mask my son found in an antique store, this past weekend. I have not had great luck identifying this mask, the head gear looks to be similar to that of some Belgium masks I have seen, and the mask itself has the general appearance of a French M51 but I’m pretty sure it is not. Any ideas? I’m guessing that the filter is probably incorrect for the mask as well.

T.35 with the incorrect container it came in.

Not sure what this container belongs to...

or this strap?

Not real sure what this mask it, Belgium maybe?

Russ
    Last edited by MySonsDad; 03-15-2011 at 05:12 AM.

Default Re: Italian T.35 Gas Mask and a ??? Gas Mask

I believe the second mask that you're unsure about might be a variation of the French ANP M51 like you thought, the only real difference is the exhale valve cover which might be something to do with it being not made by Giat who made the majority of M51 Masks. I'm not too sure what the markings mean, but I'll look into it for you.

Thanks

Danny

Thanks for the input and info Danny. Yea, the M51 is the only mask that comes close exept that the M51 does not have the marking on the forehead and the exhaust valve cover is different, but it might be for reasons as you stated. I have found 2 other of these masks on Ebay, neither indicated what country or model. One seller responded to me and said he "THINKS" is is US. His has a carriere that is marked "Carrying Case it dated marked 07REV 86 MAS 59-9" bit I don't even know if this carrier is even for this mask.

Thanks again,

Russ

Danny, Another clue might be the markings I found on the back of the head gear that reads "MRE18". A quick internet search of gas masks MRE18 yeilded this result "Rare WW2 Era LUE2 Personal Gas Mask MRE18 All Rubber". This came up on multiple search threads that all took me to Ebay and the item is no longer listed. I also took the exhaust valve cover off and on the rubber peice it reads "03_PFX_87". I'm going to do some more digging today, this thing shouldn't be that hard to identify.

I'm not an expert on the subject, that's Danny's area of expertise. I have two belgian gasmasks at home and the last one you show does resemble the one's I have, but it misses the nekstrap.
    I will check it for the markings and will post pictures if it might be helpfull.

Regards,
    Steven

French masks isnt really my area (I'm more specifically focused on post war British gas masks) howevever if it involves gas masks, I'll have some knowledge and try my best to help out

Russ, regarding the markings on the mask and the search you did on google for information I would probably think that whoever sold it on ebay probably didnt have a clue about the mask, so they just typed in what was on the facepiece and said it was rare to maybe get a sale out of it. I've seen it done many times before, so that could have been someone with the same mask as you selling it off. Hopefully you find out something about it, if nothing comes up I'll speak to someone I know that has a very nice collection of French gas masks from the First World War to the present day, he'll know...I hope

Steven, if you can upload pictures of the markings, or even just type them on here it will probably be useful as there were several manuafacturers of M51's with a few different variations which I think the mask that Russ has is an example of. It will be interesting to see what manufacturers we can find.

Heres some photos of the markings on my M51...

Bottom of facepiece

Bottom of facepiece

Head harness

Thanks

Danny

Here you go,
    it has the same markings as yours C.B.B.16 M-51 II 56.
    These were still issued till late 90's in the Belgian Army.
    Sorry,the picture of the face piece is not clear.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian T.35 Gas Mask and a ??? Gas Mask   Italian T.35 Gas Mask and a ??? Gas Mask  

Looks like your M51 is the same as mine Steven I've had a look around and spoke to a collector friend, and he says that the M51 Russ has is a French one and the ones that myself and Steven have posted are both made by Giat for France and Belgium, making them more common on the market. There are some all French examples on this website here: Boris Plotnikoff - Mask collection

Thats this one solved

Thanks

Danny

thanks for showing your masks russ my t 35 came in a fabric bag just wandering if they were issued in cans like yours ,not sure what kind of mask this is i believe it to be french ? perhaps danny can enlighten me thanks jamesItalian T.35 Gas Mask and a ??? Gas MaskItalian T.35 Gas Mask and a ??? Gas Mask

James, as far as I know the T-35 all came in cloth carriers, the one we picked up was stuffed in this tin one. I believe someone on here ID the carrier as possibly Spanish?

The other gas mask is still a big mystery, we've only come across two others exactly like it and neither was ID'd.

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast