MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

old German badge & ring - what do I have here?

Article about: found a couple of items on ebay I couldn't resist ..... first is a badge I can't find anything about aside from a couple of old pictures of German pilots wearing one I've found a few in the

?

Default old German badge & ring - what do I have here?

found a couple of items on ebay I couldn't resist .....

first is a badge I can't find anything about aside from a couple of old pictures of German pilots wearing one
    I've found a few in the day pilot pictures but all except the two have what appears to be the standard WWI German pilot's badge

this one has a Prussian crown

it has a non magnetic wreath and what seems to be a brass skull& cross bones soldered to it at 4 points

there are no markings anywhere to be found but the wreath does appear to be made of silver

the ring is brass
    the ebay seller claimed it was one of two known examples from the same maker

seller claimed it was a WWI German pilot's ring .. but there's no other info that I know

I asked the seller for anything they knew about the second example but haven't heard anything back as of yet

any input would be appreciated , I'm really not too concerned about authenticity if it's not as claimed 'cause it simply looks awesome on my finger

it sure looks better than anything modern as is ..so "good enough" if it's not what it was claimed to be

it has a mark that reads , "RD" on it's inside
    if someone knows the manufacturer that mark represents that would be really helpfull

pictures are from the ebay listings
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture old German badge & ring - what do I have here?   old German badge & ring - what do I have here?  

?

a couple more pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture old German badge & ring - what do I have here?   old German badge & ring - what do I have here?  

old German badge & ring - what do I have here?   old German badge & ring - what do I have here?  

?

I should add the ring has some damage .. the top is worn almost smooth and if you look closely at the front edges of the finger hoop , the right side is missing some "feather detail" from the front edge (see left side to compare)
    it also has a little notch in the front edge where the detail is missing making it look like it got caught by a wire or a sharp edge of something

I certainly wouldn't want to be the guy wearing it when that damage happened

MAP
    ?

Can't help with the ring.

As far as the badge. You see these sold in different variations on ebay, as well as dubious auction sites and dealers. They are typically listed as Freikorp badges (can't be as it has the imperial Prussian crown) and also as ww1 German Storm trooper awards. Certainly nothing to do with Pilots.

A fantasy item.... but are you saying you've seen period photos of this award being worn? Can you provide a link to these photos or the photos themselves? I'm happy to be mistaken.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Dos
    ?

As Map already stated.. the badge is a fantasy creation. As for the ring it looks like a modern made piece.. nothing military related i think. I hope you did not pay a lot for these items since these are worthless. Best to check it here before purchasing anything else!

This badge below is in my collection and is authentic. Note the difference in quality, construction and finish.

-Dos

?

OK.. I shall dig for the pics I mentioned ..might take a bit ..I save a lot of stuff in my PC..but yeah, I've seen it essentially the same badge - photo is a little blurry but you can definitely see it appears to be the same thing - same skull & bones ,same wreath and same flat sided crown rather than the rounded Bavarian one

aside from the damage and patina I'd have to say the ring is old , the detail in it differs to much from more modern stuff that's so much smoother and less detailed ..whatever it is

the execution of the piece is also much better as it's made to be worn with the tips of the beak forming a loop instead of having three catch points as you slide it down a shirt or jacket sleeve

I was really only hoping someone might recognize it from seeing one elsewhere

sigh..at least I know my little pocket sized folding checkers set is real..it was my great grandfather's bought while on leave or while recuperating one of the three times he was wounded serving in WWI

a buddy googled it as I showed it to him..it had been a unique family heirloom for years then suddenly I saw dozens of them on ebay and such..

then I had a little vision.. something my great grandfather would have seen
    some little shop likely in London.. a shelf stacked with little checkers sets .. probably some playing cards and pocket knives .. you know.. stuff a service man without much cash could take away with him easily

mine is still pretty much mint and complete

I also have a special old picture of him ..in his hospital bed
    ..along with the King and Queen standing beside his bed

pic of checkers set is a same as , but copied from ebay or such

and private Arthur Horace Hunt 58th battalion Canadian expeditionary force
    enlisted July 6 1915 at age 39, married , father of four - my father's mother's dad

he past before I could know him in 1962

his enlistment papers say he was just a little guy .. at 5 foot 3
    - guess that explains my tiny grandmother

I'm hoping his medals and battle badges are in my father's safety deposit box but I can't get into that for another year .. as we have to wait seven years after someone passes away ..

so fingers crossed on that one

MAP
    ?

Great photo.

I would love to see any period photos of this award. So if you can dig one or two up it would be great
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Rob M View Post
    I'm hoping his medals and battle badges are in my father's safety deposit box but I can't get into that for another year .. as we have to wait seven years after someone passes away ..so fingers crossed on that one
    You have to wait SEVEN YEARS to access your OWN fathers safety deposit box????? how crazy is that!!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    You have to wait SEVEN YEARS to access your OWN fathers safety deposit box????? how crazy is that!!!!
    I agree, that is very interesting.

Surely, even if he died intestate (without making a will) the estate would pass to the next of kin?

That's what happens in UK unless there is a specific reason to the contrary which normally means a dispute or doubt as to entitlement which in turn normally means a court case.

Nothing to do with the original topic (the fake badge and ring in respect of which I agree with opinions already given) I know but I am really curious.

Regards

Mark

PS Unless of course he is missing presumed dead
    which I sincerely hope is not the case.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 03-31-2021 at 12:32 PM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

my father's estate is kinda screwed up at the moment with a executor / trustee that isn't worth a pinch of you know what and a second name on the box who refused to play along with them ..so between them and me the "trustee" has no keys and was from out of town and out of time when here ..

and , still lookin for the pics , when time permits, I didn't buy the badge on the spur of the moment and considering it's "oddness" I wouldn't have if I hadn't seen the pic first
    I spent 4 or 5 months looking for something like it to confirm it may be for real

for the reason of the one or two pictures I found ,out of what felt like 100's I decided to take the chance on it

I should add the wreath looks like it's stamped out of a sheet piece of silver , not cast as the veins in the leaves go right through the piece from back to front

the detail in the wreath is really nice , if stamped I'd have to doubt anyone made a die to stamp one or a few fakes..

and that pic definitely was not anything like these . currently on ebay

that pic showed a badge with the same design , proportions and cut out center ..pined to a jacket on someone standing beside an in the day airplane

finding that pic said , grab it.. you can find out why it's different from everything else after (lol)

like someone posted above "i'd like to see the picture because"
    yeah , because..
    then it's not about it being "real" ...it' becomes a matter of "what the hell is it?"
    - I'd still be content even if it turned out to be a "museum copy"
    and if the wreath is pressed metal it's not likely something out of "Jimmy's basement hobby shop" ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast