Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Old halbred find- original?

Article about: Hi All. Heres an old Halberd head that I picked up at the local fleamarket this morning for \\$10NZ. The guy I bought it from told me he purchased it in France in the 1980s but could give me n

Default Old halbred find- original?

Hi All.
    Heres an old Halberd head that I picked up at the local fleamarket this morning for $10NZ.
    The guy I bought it from told me he purchased it in France in the 1980s but could give me no further info.
    I have no knowlege about this sort of thing Im just wondering if anyone knows anything about it and weather
    its original or not.
    It measures 470mm top to bottom.
    Thanks.
    Jason
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Old halbred find- original?   Old halbred find- original?  

Old halbred find- original?   Old halbred find- original?  

Old halbred find- original?   Old halbred find- original?  

?

From my limited knowledge of these. That if they were used for combat they have a reinforcing strip of metal that travel from the where it attaches to the pole that runs down the pole for strength.
    Similar to this.
    Old halbred find- original?
    Otherwise it is a decoration.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Hi, From what i know, the metal of an original, early halberd, was forged as one piece. Also they were made as a tri-style weapon consisting of an ax-head, long spike point, and a hook. The "hook" part was used to pull a mounted opponent out of his saddle. In the example shown, the head looks to be of two part construction, and where the "hook" should be is another long spike. So I would say that this was made later, In the style of", but is not period original. Although this type of weapon was used for several centuries, it did not change much. The original examples I have seen also had a flat ax face, where this face,being curved resembles more of that of a battle ax. Original examples of these early weapons are quite rare and reside in museums and private collections. Hope this helps.

Thank you AZPhil for the photo that shows all the details I had mentioned above. Very helpful.

Hi. Thanks for the replys. Yes this is a two piece and I had the feeling it was more of a later decorative item but you always live in hope! I will find and old staff/ handle to attach it to and bung it in nook somewhere at home .
    Cheers
    Jason

Looks very old and hand forged, not a decoration IMO.

?

These can be old but not that old. During the Victorian Period. It was a form of art decor. So all sorts of arms from times gone by were produced/forged as such but for that period and more to hang on the wall than to be used in combat.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Pretty neat, I'd add it to my arsenal ;-)

Thanks again. BTW the axe head although rusty IS SHARP!!
    Jason

Sharp is good, probably good steel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast