Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Spanish American/WWI Group attributed to Lt. William Henry Armstrong

Article about: Gents, As I stated before, I was able to purchase a small collection from a customer who is the grandson of, Lt. William Henry Armstrong who served during the Spanish American War. Apparentl

Default Spanish American Group attributed to Lt. William Henry Armstrong

Gents,

As I stated before, I was able to purchase a small collection from a customer who is the grandson of, Lt. William Henry Armstrong who served during the Spanish American War. Apparently, as the story goes, his Grandfather was a member of the US Army who surveyed the Island of Puerto Rico. More research forthcoming.

The group includes:

Dress Jacket with Tails, Cape, 2 named 45 Star American Flags, Shako Plate, Sharpshooter Awards and Collar insignia, gold gilded sword hangers , Mess Kit, Canteen and Bugle.

After the War he attended Harvard and as well, have his drafting table and portable tripod and base for his surveyor's transit.

Joel
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spanish American/WWI Group attributed to Lt. William Henry Armstrong   Spanish American/WWI Group attributed to Lt. William Henry Armstrong  

Spanish American/WWI Group attributed to Lt. William Henry Armstrong   Spanish American/WWI Group attributed to Lt. William Henry Armstrong  

Last edited by buellmeister; 06-23-2022 at 12:07 AM.

Continued pictures.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spanish American/WWI Group attributed to Lt. William Henry Armstrong   Spanish American/WWI Group attributed to Lt. William Henry Armstrong  

My apologies for the canted pictures. I posted them before heading off to work.

Regards
    Santi

Thank you so much Santi!

?

Pretty interesting group of different items from his kit. By the looks of it, his work in Puerto Rico was significant enough to warrant two volumes worth of “The Cartographic Journey of Lieutenant William H. Armstrong — Puerto Rico 1908-1912.”

Ben

Ben,

I thank you so much! I just sat down and stumbled across this link as well.

The Colonialist's Gaze - Southern Spaces

Joel

?

You can get a pretty well-documented grouping here with documents and histories online. The books as well would be a big addition.

(UCLA Library) General Walter P. Story giving Award of Achievement to William H. Armstrong, 1933 — Calisphere)

I’ll add this photo from a 1933 issue of the LA Times from the UCLA library. General Walther P. Story awarding William H. Armstrong the Award of Achievement for his service in the Span-Am.

Witt,

Thank you so much for your additional information as well. It is certainly interesting to have a group of items attributed to an Army Officer who was rather significant.

Here is his transit tripod that very likely traveled with him into the interior of Puerto Rico. As well, his drafting table and T-square.

Circa 1899
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spanish American/WWI Group attributed to Lt. William Henry Armstrong