Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

UK issue gas mask to civilians, WWII

Article about: Here is my late grandmothers gasmask, as you can see the box has survived much better than gasmask has. Im curious as to whether this still has any collectors value and have any merit to be

Default UK issue gas mask to civilians, WWII

Here is my late grandmothers gasmask, as you can see the box has survived much better than gasmask has. Im curious as to whether this still has any collectors value and have any merit to be saved from the bin.

A fantastic forum by the way, have had great interest looking through it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture UK issue gas mask to civilians, WWII   UK issue gas mask to civilians, WWII  

UK issue gas mask to civilians, WWII   UK issue gas mask to civilians, WWII  

UK issue gas mask to civilians, WWII   UK issue gas mask to civilians, WWII  

Default Re: UK issue gas mask to civilians, WWII

Hello justlookin and welcome!!

That is a nice mask! My grandmother had one at one time but I don't know where it may be. I'm sure that it has a collector's value and I would save it from the bin.

-Justin

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum. Its a nice peice of family history that, the box is in remarkably good condition and these tend to be worth a little more than the mask. I'm afraid they are still fairly common so no great value. But what you could do is go to a local militaria show or if you lucky even a car boot sale and pick up a better condition mask to go in the box.
    Remember it's always worth retaining as a family peice, even if your not so interested maybe in the future your children or relatives will be.
    I like the original photo showing the actual box in use.
    Best Wishes.
    LUCKYSTRIKE.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The guys here have given you good advice. Please keep the box and remains of the mask.

One word of caution and I do not wish to alarm you: the filters of these masks contain asbestos. Here is an extract from the Imperial War Museum's website:

British gas masks of the Second World War pose a problem today, as many incorporated asbestos (both blue and white) within their filters. Although relatively safe when new, the asbestos may now be starting to break down, and might be expelled from the filters, especially if they are damaged or if the mask is tried on and air is drawn through the filter.

For these reasons it is not recommended that old gas masks are ever put on, by anyone. Handling may also pose some threat.

The Imperial War Museum has chosen to seal the filters on all its suspect gas masks, whether on display or used in handling collections. This stops them functioning but does not change their outward appearance.

If you wish to seal the filter, this is easy to do. Simply mix a solution of white PVA glue and pour a small amount into the filter. This will set and keep any possible loose fibres in place while not detracting from the appearance.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for the advice regarding the asbestos threat, i was unaware of this fact.

sold it on ebay for £11.20