Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

USS Utah Pictorial Log

Article about: Here is a neat little bit is US Naval history we stumble on while snooping around one of the local shops we frequent. I was excited when I saw this USS Utah Pictorial Log but on first inspec

Default USS Utah Pictorial Log

Here is a neat little bit is US Naval history we stumble on while snooping around one of the local shops we frequent. I was excited when I saw this USS Utah Pictorial Log but on first inspection found that it had no photos. However, on closer inspection I discovered that the ships “Smooth Logs” from a period dating from January through May of 1920 had been inserted inside. I thought being from the USS Utah made this a bit special so we picked it up.

The USS Utah was a Florida Class Battleship launched in December of 1909 and then later re-classed as an auxiliary (target and gunnery training) ship AG-16 in 1931. The USS Utah was sunk during the very early minutes of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Much like the USS Arizona, she remains at her final resting place and serves as a memorial to the 58 crew members who lost their lives, 54 of which remain entombed inside. There is a pretty nice write up in Wikipedia about the history of the USS Utah for anyone that is interested.

Here are a few photos of the log along with a couple photos I found on the net of the USS Utah, one of which was taken on about a date covered in the Smooth Log.

USS Utah Pictorial Log

USS Utah Pictorial Log

USS Utah Pictorial Log

USS Utah Pictorial Log

USS Utah Pictorial Log

USS Utah Pictorial Log

USS Utah Pictorial Log

Russ & Son
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USS Utah Pictorial Log