Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Went To estate Sale Today..Found Norden Bombsight

Article about: Hi Guys, Went to an estate sale this morning and the first thing I saw as I walked in was this MK15 Mod 7 Norden bombsight. Gave the lady \\$300 now its mine.. Dont know what Im gonna do with

Default Re: Went To estate Sale Today..Found Norden Bombsight

Quote by colonel View Post
    Hello, I am interested in the Norden unit.
    What do you plan to do with it? This is the first time I
    've used this site so I'm not sure how it works.

Thanks

Whatever you do, dont use it over Europe

dejacque
    ?

As per usual, when you want to find something, you just looked at, it no longer exists. I just can't figure out how that happens. I just saw a picture of a Norden bomb sight in color, that appears to have been taken from a museum, Now that I want to look at it again, It doesn't come up. I just acquired a device that I believe hooks up to the Norden , It's made by a company in Picque Ohio. Since the Norden or most of them were made in Ohio, I am assuming this was made of the the Nrde, It's some kind of a power acurator devise.
    How do I find this picture again???
    Thanks
    kent

JoJoGunn
    ?

Not for nothing...but we have in our basement a Sperry S-1 Bombsight. It was given to my father after he (my father) returned from WW II. Not sure why because my father was in the Army Engineers. My father did bring home a german shoe bomb, minus the tnt. He used to have to disarm these and other types of ant-personal devises.. Back to the Sperry sights, he just recently asked if I thought it was worth anything, maybe put it up on ebay. I searched ebay and not found anything like it. Norden or otherwise so...I have no real answer for him. Any thoughts ???

?

I know this might put the cat among the pigeons but i remember reading somewhere that the Mitchell bombers used on the Doolittle raid had all navy norden sights fitted so in case of recovery by the enemy they would know that it was a retaliation by the navy for pearl harbour could this be right ?

JoJoGunn
    ?

P.S. Almost forgot...he also brought home a german railroad signaling kit. NEVER USED...still like new. Has yellowing paper inside lid, all in german with swastika stamp of some sort and a few signatures. Inside are 2 matching signaling lamps that run on carbide rocks, (gas). The lamps are made of bakelite.. also has different colored lenses and a candle back up kit. none of the candles have been used. This thing is has a lot going for it.

Definitely a neat find! Good for you. It's nice to get lucky once in awhile and come across something like this. It makes collecting fun.
    I am curious what kind of helmet you're interested in though! Sorry, as an aviation collector I had to ask! Thanks for posting.

JoJoGunn
    ?

Smile Re: Went To estate Sale Today..Found Norden Bombsight

Quote by JoJoGunn View Post
    Not for nothing...but we have in our basement a Sperry S-1 Bombsight. It was given to my father after he (my father) returned from WW II. Not sure why because my father was in the Army Engineers. My father did bring home a german shoe bomb, minus the tnt. He used to have to disarm these and other types of ant-personal devises.. Back to the Sperry sights, he just recently asked if I thought it was worth anything, maybe put it up on ebay. I searched ebay and not found anything like it. Norden or otherwise so...I have no real answer for him. Any thoughts ???
    Some pic's I just took
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Went To estate Sale Today..Found Norden Bombsight   Went To estate Sale Today..Found Norden Bombsight  

Went To estate Sale Today..Found Norden Bombsight   Went To estate Sale Today..Found Norden Bombsight  

Went To estate Sale Today..Found Norden Bombsight   Went To estate Sale Today..Found Norden Bombsight  

Neat find. I will volunteer to clean it up and house it for you in my collection!!!

GerryJag
    ?

It doesn't resemble the Norden Bombsight that I have including shipping box. Yours might be a very early version.

About the navy deal (Anchor on sight), I think that the army air force rejected it and the navy picked up on it.

GerryJag
    ?

Sorry! I see that the pictures are of a Sperry sight. My error. I picked up my Norden sight in new (or reconditioned) state about 1965. I rigged up a power supply and got the gyro, tracking and release features running. Have been keeping it and letting it grow old with the hope that it may supplement my SS or my grandchildren's college.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast