MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Yard Sale/Flea Market Finds 6/26

Article about: Hi All, I hit the yard sales and flea markets this weekend and made some pretty nice finds. One of my favorites would have to be the Civil War bayo for a Springfield rifle; a nice find for a

?

Talking Yard Sale/Flea Market Finds 6/26

Hi All,
    I hit the yard sales and flea markets this weekend and made some pretty nice finds.

One of my favorites would have to be the Civil War bayo for a Springfield rifle; a nice find for a good price. I however wish I had arrived at this yard sale earlier than I did as the women had 2 Civil War Springfield rifles for sale......which she sold for $20 each!

My next is the War of the Nations book. It was printed shortly after WWI and contains 550 pages worth of photos of all of those who had a major influence before and during the war as well as "action shots" of troops, equipment and artillery from the war. The book measures about 11"x16", so they are nice big photos...

The European Campaign medal is one that I have been looking for, as I have the American and Pacific Campaign medals...Now I feel more complete with this in my display case.

Finally, the letter I am really interested in as it was sent from the German Consulate in New York in 1935. It's written in German so maybe someone can help me to translate it to give me a general idea of what the letter is about?

Thanks for viewing!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Yard Sale/Flea Market Finds 6/26   Yard Sale/Flea Market Finds 6/26  

Yard Sale/Flea Market Finds 6/26   Yard Sale/Flea Market Finds 6/26  

Yard Sale/Flea Market Finds 6/26  
    Last edited by Masonk; 06-29-2010 at 01:50 AM.

?

Default Re: Yard Sale/Flea Market Finds 6/26

nice finds, got this pin .. mabye a repro?

Nice finds!! So much militaria at one place. One should visit a militaria fair over here to get that much....original items.
    About your letter, it appears you must have al least one missing page.
    The pages you show is a regulation that one as to proof in order to get a commemorative medal of the I WW.
    That is how I understands it.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Thanks, Stuka! Not all items were at one place. They were actually found at a yard sale and 2 flea markets. It's quite common to find items like these in Pennsylvania....Getting them at a fair price is what you have to work on. But for me, that's part of the fun of it!

With regards to the letter, I assumed there was a missing page based on how the remaining pages are numbered. I also saw mention of the date 12/31/1918, and assumed it had something to do with WWI. I appreciate your help with this! One day I'll learn to speak/read German!!

stuka is right about the papers...
    Nice finds!

cheers,

can you post a pic of the reverse of the Olympic Pin?...thanks,,Robert

hey yuengling, you dont happen to know john amato up in meadville do you? he has a shop called j amato and son.

hes a great dealer, very honest and he doesnt mark up his items very much. hes also one of the nicest guys ive ever met. i would highly reccomend him to a collector. i bought that late-war swivel bale rear seam helmet from him that i posted the other day for $50.

?

Hey OB! No, I'm not familiar with him. I looked up his shop on Google and that's about a 6 hour drive for me. I live right outside of Philly (Hatboro to be precise). If I'm ever up in that area though, I'll be sure to check him out! Seems like he has good prices. Thanks for the tip!

Some brilliant finds there and a damn shame about the rifles !!

I love the portfolio. That is very nice indeed.

The first picture also shows something very interesting. I am not sure exactly what it is, and I realise you guys only joined the war in 1941, but I love the way it is dated 1941-1945 !! And here's me thinking it started in 1939

Steve T

?

Thanks, Steve! Yeah, those rifles would have been a nice find!

The plaques in the first two photos are actually grave markers for US soldiers. This would explain the date on the WWII one as we didn't enter the war officially until '41.