Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

1905 Austro-Hungarian coat.

Article about: I just tracked down today that this coat I've had for many years is an Austro-Hungarian Feldwebel (to the best of my knowledge). It's hand-made, wool, red piped, double split tail, "9&q

?

Default 1905 Austro-Hungarian coat.

I just tracked down today that this coat I've had for many years is an Austro-Hungarian Feldwebel (to the best of my knowledge). It's hand-made, wool, red piped, double split tail, "9" on the buttons, silk wrapped wooden collar stars, silk interior, map pocket, cigar pocket, and hidden stash places all through it including the tail. The hard to read hand written tag is in English cursive, but written in German and the name appears to be Polish. It is dated Mai 24, 1905. That day also happens to be my birthday! It was given to me years ago by a friend who's grandfather's family came from Germany sometime around the beginning of the 20th Century. The family name is Bohn (not James Bohn). Do any of you have any other general information to add about it?
    1905 Austro-Hungarian coat.

Default Re: 1905 Austro-Hungarian coat.

Cool and welcome to the forum!

Okie...have a look at this site Austro-Hungarian Land Forces 1848-1918 it will be of interest...a great looking uniform ! thanks for showing.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Thanks, oradour. I looked at the site and am even more confused as to what my coat is. The pictures of collars show they have tabs, unlike mine which has no tabs. And all of the braid on mine is metal, not silk. Considering the whip stitching, mine was probably made by the guy's wife. I assume the chevrons on the left sleave indicate rank, along with the collar stars, but I'm guessing. This coat's origin has bugged me for a long time.