Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

K.u.k. Spoon with message.

Article about: Hi everyone, A friend of mine bought this spoon with an heartbreaking message. It's translated like: my father Hindrik Holinsky went to fight at the battle of Smerderov at 9/11/1914. We neve

Default K.u.k. Spoon with message.

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine bought this spoon with an heartbreaking message. It's translated like: my father Hindrik Holinsky went to fight at the battle of Smerderov at 9/11/1914. We never heard from him since.

If anyone can make a better translation please do. There was also a Feldpostkarte coming with the spoon. Apparently Holinsky was part of the Landsturm-Bataillon no. 51, 1 Kompagnie. He died at the age of 35.

A real sad momentum. Does anyone have any info about this battle or person? I couldn't find any good intel. The writing on the card has faded (so has my eyesite) Maybe someone with some photoshop skill can try to make it readable.

Thx in advance.

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul
    During World War I, Smederevo was the site of one of the greatest battles and the great victory of the Serbian army, on Mitrovdan (Nov. 8th) 1914.

Regards
    Santi

?

The text is in czech, so the previous owner was a czech soldier?, there is written on spoon, evidently by his son:
    "To Memory of Smeredevo in Serbia 9.11.1914,where our father Jindřich Holinsky was in battle and never went back."
    I assume the Feldpostkarte was send to his widdow Mrs.Helena Holinska with information about his death or it was his previous card to his wife, there is unreadable location by Prague, and street name with 284 address. Strange is the german text card under, as deklared as General? 1914-1918, maybe a source book? and declared a date of birth of bad version of first name Heinz should be Heinrich Holinsky.