Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

1918 raf observers wing

Article about: Enclosed a picture of my 'latest' find. I let this go to a friend back in 1981 and it has resided in his collection since. Today it came back 'home'! I 'believe' this insignia to have been p

mjw
    ?

Default 1918 raf observers wing

Enclosed a picture of my 'latest' find.

I let this go to a friend back in 1981 and it has resided in his collection since. Today it came back 'home'!

I 'believe' this insignia to have been produced for the first (and short lived) RAF Sky Blue tunic issued in 1918. It is woven in both gold and silver wire on dark blue/black melton with a canvas backing. I am fairly certain this is not an example of 'dress uniform' insignia – all examples of this type seen have been in gold thread only – but I may be wrong!

Anyway I have enclosed it for those interested in such things.

Any comments. as always, will be most welcome.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1918 raf observers wing  

Default Re: 1918 raf observers wing

Howdy Malcolm,

Thank you for posting. Is it possible to see a shot of the reverse?
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

mjw
    ?

Default Re: 1918 raf observers wing

Hello Steven,

The reverse.

The small red spots are the remains of the velvet backing from the display board that this brevet was tacked onto (with glue) !!

Kind regards, Malcolm.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1918 raf observers wing