Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

70th Anniversary of the York blitz

Article about: Last weekend was 70 years since the Baedeker raids on York. 40 german bombers crossed the coast of England between Flamborough Head and Hornsea in the early hours of the morning of April 29t

Default 70th Anniversary of the York blitz

Last weekend was 70 years since the Baedeker raids on York.

40 german bombers crossed the coast of England between Flamborough Head and Hornsea in the early hours of the morning of April 29th 1942.
    84 tonnes of high explosives and incendiary bombs were dropped on York in a 'reprisal raid'.

The raid killed 94 men, women and children and hundreds injured.

All this week there is an exhibition in York city centre which sees a welcome return of the Hurricane with the markings of 341 Squadron Free French RAF and reenactors from RAF and the National Fire Service, oh and me

That night a lone Hurricane pilot of 253 Squadron called Yves Mahe attacked the enemy bombers until they headed for home. There is an exhibition detailing his heroics.

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 70th Anniversary of the York blitz   70th Anniversary of the York blitz  

70th Anniversary of the York blitz   70th Anniversary of the York blitz  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Default Re: 70th Anniversary of the York blitz

Excellent info & pics.
    Thanks for posting.

Thanks for sharing Nick
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

I remember parking by York railway station a few years back and thought that parts of it appeared rebuilt as the architecture was obviously different and more modern compared to the victorian brickwork. I guessed it might have been bomb damaged; was it hit in this raid Nick?

Regards, Ned.

P.S. Nice pic's!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks guys!

Yes Ned, a direct hit :
    Attached Images Attached Images 70th Anniversary of the York blitz 
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!

Just noticed you're under surveillance from the first floor right hand window of the 'Three Cranes'!!!!

Click on it for a close up, class!!!

Woof! Woof!, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 70th Anniversary of the York blitz  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ha! Ha! Its waiting for the dogfight to start !

Nick

?

Others would say that you obviously attract the local dogs Nick !!!

I didn't know the casualties were as heavy , everyone associates the Blitz with the Smoke but of course many towns and cities got some as well .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Ha! Ha! Its true I do Paul!

The Luftwaffe carried on their 'reprisal raids' by visiting Bath and Norwich after York

Nick