Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

B17 pilot shot down,captured,my uncle have prov.

Article about: My uncle Bill was shot down bombing over Germany Feb 1945,he was captured 3 days later,lived through it until camp was liberated.He found his file in the camp office.Here are a few pics,camp

MAP
    ?

The POW diary with the medal is interesting. The award wasn't created until 1985ish. Was it for him to fill out or was it a book with William Seat's account?

I assume someone has his POW medal?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks !Yes my brother has his medal.I know he wrote the book/diary,cant remember exactly when it was printed.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Toecutter View Post
    Thanks !Yes my brother has his medal.I know he wrote the book/diary,cant remember exactly when it was printed.
    Cool. I would suspect the diary was printed in the '80's in line with the awarding of the medals.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Wonderful story with a happy ending.

Can you imagine jumping out of a bomber, hurling towards the ground?

A very brave man indeed.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I love that TC!!
    You show some awesome firearms, But these items I find outstanding,
    That POW dog tag from Stalag VIIA and his P38 can opener is Fantastic.
    I know former POW from Stalag XVIIB and has the same dog tag set up with the can opener.
    That was a precious item to have.

Do you know who he flew with? Which AAF Bomb Group/ Squadron?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    2lt William Seat was in the 388th bomb group. And according to Nara was initially incarcerated in the famous Stalag Luft 3 camp at Sagan. A beautiful collection of items, you must be very proud of him.

Thanks!Yes it was printed in the 80s am pretty sure here is another medal on back cover..Yeah would have been bad enough flying into all the flack with those bombs aboard,but having to jump would have been scary.He never questioned it or complained.He says he was hit by flack ,his wing was on fire so he bailed out,he evaded capture for 3 hours not 3 days,my mistake.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture B17 pilot shot down,captured,my uncle have prov.   B17 pilot shot down,captured,my uncle have prov.  

MAP
    ?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    2lt William Seat was in the 388th bomb group. And according to Nara was initially incarcerated in the famous Stalag Luft 3 camp at Sagan. A beautiful collection of items, you must be very proud of him.
    Doh....Homer moment. I did NOT realize that William Seat was TC's uncle. I thought it was someone else

TWS
    ?

Fantastic TC! Those are some great items but the story and it's personal link to you put it all over the top. That is great history being preserverd right there.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Thanks guys for all the comments.Here is his dress uniform and crusher cap.The uniform is in perfect cond. been in a zippered cleaners bag .The 8th shoulder patch is very nice and you can see the silver wings have tarnished.The butter knife was from the camp.Also a silver wire set of wings.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture B17 pilot shot down,captured,my uncle have prov.   B17 pilot shot down,captured,my uncle have prov.  

B17 pilot shot down,captured,my uncle have prov.   B17 pilot shot down,captured,my uncle have prov.  

B17 pilot shot down,captured,my uncle have prov.   B17 pilot shot down,captured,my uncle have prov.  

?

I have a passion for the 8th AF.
    That is a beautiful uniform!!

The bottom blue patches with the winged propellers are his Aviation Cadet patches from when he was learning how to fly!!

It is great it is still in the Family!!
    Thank you for sharing that TC!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast