Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Balloon Pilot / CO of the 5th Balloon Company

Article about: Small group to Captain Maurice Smith of the 5th Balloon Company. France 1917 to 1919 - Recommended for the DSC twice - 2 Flaming Balloon jumps - DJ

Default Balloon Pilot / CO of the 5th Balloon Company

Small group to Captain Maurice Smith of the 5th Balloon Company. France 1917 to 1919 - Recommended for the DSC twice - 2 Flaming Balloon jumps -

DJ
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Balloon Pilot / CO of the 5th Balloon Company   Balloon Pilot / CO of the 5th Balloon Company  

Balloon Pilot / CO of the 5th Balloon Company   Balloon Pilot / CO of the 5th Balloon Company  

Balloon Pilot / CO of the 5th Balloon Company   Balloon Pilot / CO of the 5th Balloon Company  

Default Re: Balloon Pilot / CO of the 5th Balloon Company

Dennis,

Beautiful...just beautiful. It really makes having something like this very personal when you can look through a photo, into the eyes of the person who wore it. As you know, a Balloon Corp uniform grouping is something that I have not been able to venture into yet, monetarily. However, the privilege of just seeing this incredible group does a lot to fill the physical absence of something like this in my collection.

I get much enjoyment in knowing that you have it as it is in good hands. Thanks very much for not only adding this posting, but also the others threads as well. The Aviation Section of this forum has become a wonderful hangout for those of us who love this time in history. It makes seeing these items all the more special when it is posted by a friend!
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hi Dennis,

Small yes..but oh so tasty!

Gary

?

That's a very beautiful grouping I must say!

Adler

Sweet!! Thanks Dennis for posting this.

I still dont get why the allies never figured out that parachutes, might you know....SAVE PILOT'S LIVES?

Udet would have been dead without his, and I must say that Luftberry would have lived with one.

Quote by Chris L View Post
    Sweet!! Thanks Dennis for posting this.

I still dont get why the allies never figured out that parachutes, might you know....SAVE PILOT'S LIVES?

Udet would have been dead without his, and I must say that Luftberry would have lived with one.
    It is very hard to comprehend the mentality of the day. It was thought that they were bad for moral and didn't instill confidence in the pilots about their aircraft...after all, who wouldn't be confident flying around in an oil-soaked flammable flying coffin! A pilot's job was to remain with their aircraft all the way to the ground, in landing or flaming crash.

That is why these men are my heroes.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Collector54
    ?

Nice collection!! I have some of my Grandfathers things from the 5th Balloon Co also which I love and have displayed in a shadow box. I have 2 of his dog tags listed as PVT 112 of the 5th Balloon Co, a Defensive Section Medal, ankle/boot spats and best of all a numbered piece of the balloon with his name, 5th Balloon Co, France and date of I believe indicates Aug 29, 1919.
    I do not plan of selling these since they are family but would like to know if you have any idea of value for insurance purposes only.
    Thank you for your help,
    Avid Family Military Collector

Quote by Belleauwood View Post
    Small group to Captain Maurice Smith of the 5th Balloon Company. France 1917 to 1919 - Recommended for the DSC twice - 2 Flaming Balloon jumps -

DJ
    Dennis,
    Another fantastic uniform to say the least. Is there no end to that treasure trove of historical material hidden in your abode? Very nice indeed. Thanks for posting this magnificant group.
    Terry

?

Dennis. I still swear that you have a time machine!

Not only the rarity but the quality and condition of the items are fantastic!

As far as parachutes are concerned, it is my understanding that balloon personnel were issued parachutes. Or am I misreading the previous posts? Are you saying that no allied aviators were issued parachutes?

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Dennis,

Beautiful...just beautiful.

Steve you are talking about the wing right

Dennis is it ALWAYS a treat to see things form you collection!

Best
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast