Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BOB Pilot Flying Gear

Article about: I received these pieces in the mail yesterday, a complete second pattern E Type flying helmet named to P/O A.R.F. Thompson along with his Type H oxygen mask. When I bought the helmet and mas

?

Default BOB Pilot Flying Gear

I received these pieces in the mail yesterday, a complete second pattern E Type flying helmet named to P/O A.R.F. Thompson along with his Type H oxygen mask. When I bought the helmet and mask, all I knew about Thompson was that he was a Captain with B.O.A.C. after the war. A simple Google of his name resulted in information pertaining to his RAF service with 249 Squadron during the Battle of Britain and other assignments during the war. Let me know what you guys think.

BOB Pilot Flying GearBOB Pilot Flying GearBOB Pilot Flying GearBOB Pilot Flying GearBOB Pilot Flying GearBOB Pilot Flying GearBOB Pilot Flying GearBOB Pilot Flying GearBOB Pilot Flying GearBOB Pilot Flying Gear

MAP
    ?

A great set with provenance! Nice!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Great pickup..i just got googles that match that set

?

Quote by wizardman View Post
    Great pickup..i just got googles that match that set
    Do you mean that the goggles you have belonged to the same pilot or late war type goggles?

I have this pair of in-box MK IIIA goggles on their way to me now from Australia. Look amazing in the photos, can't wait to see them in hand. BOB Pilot Flying Gear
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture BOB Pilot Flying Gear  

I'm fairly sure that these appeared on: 'Antiques Roadshow' earlier this year. I think the pilot flew a version of the Sunderland flying boat, the Short Solent. If it wasn't this set, it was a set just like it.

not the same pilot, but BOB glasses

?

Very Nice Late type E helmet you have picked up, most of these type are usually small, is this the case with this one?.

Cheers
    Greg

?

Quote by Studly View Post
    Very Nice Late type E helmet you have picked up, most of these type are usually small, is this the case with this one?.

Cheers
    Greg
    Thanks Greg, This E Type is a size 4
    BOB Pilot Flying Gear

and the mask is a Large.
    BOB Pilot Flying Gear

?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I'm fairly sure that these appeared on: 'Antiques Roadshow' earlier this year. I think the pilot flew a version of the Sunderland flying boat, the Short Solent. If it wasn't this set, it was a set just like it.
    That is some interesting information, I assume it would be the UK's version of the show? I'll have to look into that.

Quote by gbalke View Post
    That is some interesting information, I assume it would be the UK's version of the show? I'll have to look into that.
    Yes, it was the UK version. But as I say I could be wrong. It was an episode broadcast from the 'Flying Scotsman.' The episode was in series 39 and called: 'Golden Age Of Travel.'

Update... I've tracked the episode down, and the helmet shown is actually a 'B' type with Gosport tubes. The only bit I got right was the fact it was worn by a former WW2 pilot when flying for B. O. A. C. Apologies for building your hopes up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast