Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

C M F escape & evasion kit?

Article about: I'm wondering if anybody can tell me about this escape and evasion purse that I have. It contains two silk maps, phrase translation cards and a miniature compass. It must date to WW2 as the

Default C M F escape & evasion kit?

I'm wondering if anybody can tell me about this escape and evasion purse that I have. It contains two silk maps, phrase translation cards and a miniature compass. It must date to WW2 as the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia is included on one of the maps but, otherwise, I know very little about this kit. Is it RAF? What do the letters C M F stand for - Central Mediterranean Force?

Here are a few photos:

Thanks,

David

You are correct, CMF stands for Central Mediterranean Forces. It is a WW2 evasion purse as issued to British and US airmen. The maps are part of the 43 (1943) series, you will find the sheet letter in the corner or at the top of the map (I suspect that they are sheets C/D and E/F). Occasionally they had money in them, yours would appear to be missing the miniature escape saw. They are very desirable and quite rare.

I have a map pouch for Sheet C/D (also missing the saw) on pg 16 of my thread
    Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Thank you, Grimebox. It's too bad about the missing saw and, possibly, currency, but the silk maps are in like-new condition, so I guess I should just be grateful for what's there!