Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Don W. Greer, Ellington Field 1918, Died-Influenza

Article about: Not all of the Great War's casualties were claimed by the enemy... I just wanted to share a photo of the resting place of Don W. Greer, 286th Aero Sqdn. in a local cemetery. He is buried not

Default Don W. Greer, Ellington Field 1918, Died-Influenza

Not all of the Great War's casualties were claimed by the enemy...

I just wanted to share a photo of the resting place of Don W. Greer, 286th Aero Sqdn. in a local cemetery. He is buried not far from my home, and only about 10 minutes away from Ellington Field where he died. I am currently trying to locate his descendants who probably still live here, I just have to make the right connection.

What an unfitting end for such a young man with so many possibilities unrealized.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Don W. Greer, Ellington Field 1918, Died-Influenza  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Default Re: Don W. Greer, Ellington Field 1918, Died-Influenza

Medals are awarded for those who are wounded or die on the battlefield, but nothing is given to the family that loses a loved one to illness or disease. The telegram that comes to inform that of their child/husband/wifes passing is no less painful than that of the message that is received for a "heroic" death.

Quote by BEAST View Post
    Medals are awarded for those who are wounded or die on the battlefield, but nothing is given to the family that loses a loved one to illness or disease. The telegram that comes to inform that of their child/husband/wifes passing is no less painful than that of the message that is received for a "heroic" death.
    Could not have said it better myself Erick.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Steve how do you know that he died of influenza,and good luck finding his family. Gary

?

The sad thing about post WW1 is that hundreds of thousands of men who had survived years of combat were killed during the great influenza outbreak just after the war
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Steve how do you know that he died of influenza,and good luck finding his family. Gary
    Hi Gary,

Thanks. The cause of death is listed in the cemetery historical records section.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Steve a very good source of info I did not know they did that. Steve on a different note I have a Sheppard Field photo album from WWII didn't know if you would like to see it. Gary

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Steve a very good source of info I did not know they did that. Steve on a different note I have a Sheppard Field photo album from WWII didn't know if you would like to see it. Gary
    Hi Gary - I would love to see it.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Paul E View Post
    The sad thing about post WW1 is that hundreds of thousands of men who had survived years of combat were killed during the great influenza outbreak just after the war

Very true Paul. In fact, we have a superb aviation grouping just posted to a DSC and British DFC recipient in this section that demonstrates this very fact. Though death is never a welcomed event under any circumstances, succumbing in this manner does not seem a befitting way of passing for such men....I hope that came out the way I intended it to sound.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]