Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings

Article about: by hawk3370 Steve, Where did you find these jewels. Perhaps they would be willing to trade these three fabulous wing badges for lets say my Riable DSC group. What do you think? Thanks for sh

Default Re: FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Steve,
    Where did you find these jewels. Perhaps they would be willing to trade these three fabulous wing badges for lets say my Riable DSC group. What do you think? Thanks for sharing these extremely rare "Original" badges.
    Terry
    Major,

I'll make the arrangements for the trade for you! I found them on eBay...all by the same seller. There are even more "jewels" but I was so emotionally overcome by these "rarities" that my hands were trembling too much to post the rest.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Major,

I'll make the arrangements for the trade for you! I found them on eBay...all by the same seller. There are even more "jewels" but I was so emotionally overcome by these "rarities" that my hands were trembling too much to post the rest.
    Saw these as well, Steve- around a half dozen or so, and I knew they were all bad.
    Glad you had a chance to view them..........
    Regards,

Steve.

Here is supposed original Tiffany wing currently at auction. After some discussion with another collector, I believe them to be fake. Here is why:

1. Heavy oxidation is probably actually a product called "Silver Black" used to cover up the lousy finish which probably lies underneath.

2. I do not like the green corrosion around the US. Originals were in real gold, and as we all know, gold does not produce this effect. The material used on this piece is probably polished brass.

3. The hinge, pin and catch are ALL wrong for Tiffany. The firm used a safety type catch and much more delicate hardware.

4. The Tiffany MM is in a straight line and not arced as found on the very few originals known to exist.

I will say that at least this one doesn't have the silver rivet heads on the reverse for attachment of the US as found on another known fake variant.

Your thoughts?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings   FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hi Steven, I think you have pretty much summed it up. I can only agree with all the points you raise.

Cheers, Ade.

Here we have another bogus Tiffany wing from the same auction site as the other one - good ol' ebay. The casting on this one is pathetic. I most of the same criticisms to this one as I did the above. I can't believe people fall for this garbage...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings   FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

For your consideration we find a Military Aviator Wing Badge by Dunham currently on E-Bay. This is a poor (lost wax) copy of the Dunham wings. Dunham did not cut between the feathers like the Dallas wings that are found. The sewing of the wool is completely wrong for the period and Dunham would have never sold a wing with this shoddy workmanship. Pin and catch are questionable. The feathers on the shoulders are not undercut as the originals were. And the wear pattern on the metal and wool is not consistant. Military aviator wing badges are virtually non existant especially in metal.
    Attached Images Attached Images FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings  FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings 

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6