Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Flying Legends Airshow at Duxford Cancelled For Good

Article about: Not really sure where to post this but this looks like a relevant place. In case anyone was unaware, IWM Duxford have confirmed that the Flying Legends Airshow will no longer take place at t

?

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    This from one of the Duxford curators on Twitter. Would seem that Duxford saw it as being too niche.

Attachment 1437843
    Big push back on twitter about this and her comments as many feel and probably with justification that Duxford is in fact an Air Museum !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

....still looks like they’re looking for a new venue for next year......

Something more central may be more attractive to the nation tho I suspect an over-water event may be the way to go.

So, no vehicles at a War Museum and no flying planes at an Air Museum.......still, the coffee shops’s nice.......

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Well with Ms Charles at the helm, I guess you may as well brace yourselves for "Dinosaurs at Duxford".
    Maybe they are affiliated to the National Trust? They are certainly going in the same direction! 'Rule Britannia' and sod the lot of them!

Isn't IWM Duxford, the UK's largest aviation museum? With over 200 aircraft?

If the curator of IWM Duxford, doesn't understand that Duxford is a Air museum??

Now we are being misled by Ms Charles, so we now know what's coming.

Gerald Ratner (of the Ratner Group) said of his products??

"How can you sell this for such a low price?", I say, "because it's total crap."

His company, the Ratner group plummeted by £500 million and almost collapsed.

They had to change the company's name to the Signet group.

What damage has Ms Charles done to this wonderful Museum?

No doubt planning permission is already being sought.. new houses, new road works.

S+d the masses, s+d the memories, s+d the history, there's a big buck to make.

Her sheer greed is breath taking, and she should resign.

A curator for IWM and webmaster for the American Air Museum, not THE curator before people start calling for resignations.

IWM Duxford Flying Legends has been cancelled for good.

That's the headline?

The damage has already been done.

We should avoid shooting messengers.....whatever this persons role I doubt very much if they’ve actually made the call....the termination of contracts and the knocking down of buildings are big shouts where I suspect they’ll be a number of referral points. The sad point for me is that the Imperial WAR Museum appears to be distancing itself from FLYING war planes and a collection of WAR vehicles. It’s taken me back to when I visited the IWM in London after the refurb and I overheard one school kid say to another “where’s all the war stuff?”...out of the mouths of babes....

It's a trend that is happening in museums internationally. The management is being taken over with a generation of curators who have been taught their role is to interpret historic artifacts for the visitors. Crowds gawking at hardware is now frowned upon, rather they want to take the visitor on some journey story of enlightenment, with lessons learnt to apply to the modern world.

....and in doing so we get less “stuff” and more A1 sized plastic covered enlarged documents, film clips from the likes of the History Channel or similar and buttons to press. Private Museums seem to be stepping into the gaps left by the old “national” museums - they are effectively collections in display cabinets with very few buttons to press or YouTube clips to watch....perhaps an answer.....

Shows though, especially Air Shows (in the UK) are different since Shoreham.....more space, less aerobatics and probably LOADS more insurance.....they’re being killed from outside pressure without the help from INSIDE the museum....although I’d have greater respect if everyone was straight with us and told us WHY any changes are made....and how the entrance fee would need to change if the amendments weren’t to be made. A “pay up or lose it” period might be worthwhile.....but when FLYING PLANES are removed from a PLANE WAR MUSEUM which was a key PLANE base during a WAR one does start to wonder......

I’ve been amazed at how Tankfest (big tank Show in the UK) has changed since they teamed up with a kids computer game (that’s bound to rile some folk).....but since WoT became involved this annual tankshow has become swamped with entrance-paying folk who make their way into a big dark shed to play the game they play for 364 days at home whilst the real things rumble past a few metres away.....and an ugly much maligned (but extremely rare) chunk of metal which used to serve as a backdrop to a kids play area and cafe seating is now featured on the Museums T Shirts!

Usually (and sadly) everything comes down to money....the ol’ “Use it or lose it” saying should be “pay for it or lose it” nowadays....and probably rightly so........when did “we” last go to a Museum, collection, Show, when did we tell the curator what we thought........perhaps privatisation is the answer....we buy the stock..we carry the loss......we have the say.....

The last time I went to a military museum was the Lancashire Fusiliers museum in Bury, Lancashire, last year. I wanted to 'gift' them a pair of binoculars marked to Captain P. A, McGrath of 8th Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers. They were purchased by him from 'W. G. Whiting, Optician' of the Royal Exchange in Manchester. McGrath saw action with the battalion at Passchendaele and was also Mentioned in Dispatches. You might have thought that they would have been pleased to receive a pair of binoculars linked to the battalion, but no... so I brought them back home. My days of gifting to museums are now over.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3