Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Flying Legends Airshow at Duxford Cancelled For Good

Article about: Not really sure where to post this but this looks like a relevant place. In case anyone was unaware, IWM Duxford have confirmed that the Flying Legends Airshow will no longer take place at t

Default Flying Legends Airshow at Duxford Cancelled For Good

Not really sure where to post this but this looks like a relevant place. In case anyone was unaware, IWM Duxford have confirmed that the Flying Legends Airshow will no longer take place at that venue. Organisers of the event are now looking for an alternative site:

Imperial War Museum Duxford axes annual Flying Legends airshow for good - Cambridgeshire Live

They just seem to be falling in line with other museums that are dumbing-down. Covid has been a blessing to these institutions... it gives them a reason to cut back.

There is also talk of them getting rid of the Land Warfare Hall. Considering there was talk of building a hotel on site it seems a strange decision to take to cancel one of the world's main airshows which would see the hotel booked out year after year during that period.

There might be another reason too. Maybe the land surrounding the airfield has been earmarked for housing, and old aircraft flying over housing estates might be seen as too much of a risk.

I don't think many will survive after Shoreham.....the risk is too large......COVID or not. The Land Warfare Hall has been "going" for years....'talk of exhibit hand-backs etc + one could view the new plans online at one stage 'tho I haven't looked for a while. The virus has given a lot of enterprises the final nail for a number of coffins....

...although the article suggests that the Show is just dead for Duxford......so it may rise phoenix-like somewhere else

I think this will move to Europe, possibly France.

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

There is always Southport as a venue... they can only crash into the sand or sea there!

...I've heard you have quite a large back garden "Harry"...... :-)

You've got the wrong 'Harry' Ade... although I will admit to being married to a true 'princess' amongst women!

Well, for many reasons I believe this is a short sighted move and I don't buy any of the reasons mooted for justification except perhaps the idea of museums being "dumbed down".

I did think that perhaps it was that once more (as it was a couple of decades ago) history was becoming "unfashionable" then I realised that history really is fashionable at the moment but it is only "some"history in particular!

I feel there is a lot of double talk and deceit surrounding this issue which makes me realise that those of us who understand the significance may be somewhat out of step with the sheep who get more outraged by a drunken footballer disgracing the nation in a foreign country and how badly he is treated than they do about the history that bears directly on our lives today.

As for Duxford itself this is another reason not to make the painful trek from Wiltshire regardless of mode of transport. Hopefully the show will relocate somewhere perhaps in the Midlands which is more accessible from more of the country.

If the Land Warfare Hall closes we will be so much closer to the situation before IWM "de-centralised" to make itself more easily reached by those who live outside the zoo that we call our capital.

I think the outstations of the Royal Armouries especially in the North of the country better watch out!

Depressing isn't it?

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast