Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

How About a 1919 Pattern Wing...

Article about: Here is an original example of the 1919 pattern wing that belonged to a pilot who flew during WWI and continued to fly for several years after WWI. The wing measures exactly 3 inches as oppo

Default How About a 1919 Pattern Wing...

Here is an original example of the 1919 pattern wing that belonged to a pilot who flew during WWI and continued to fly for several years after WWI. The wing measures exactly 3 inches as opposed to later variants of same design that measured 3 1/8 in. The piece is unmarked for silver content or maker. However, I think that I may have found who the maker is and will post a marked example in the last post as a comparison.

Some of the distinguishing characteristics of the 1919 wing are as mentioned, the size, finely detailed feathering, broad upper section on each wing, heavy pin, hinge and clasp.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How About a 1919 Pattern Wing...   How About a 1919 Pattern Wing...  

How About a 1919 Pattern Wing...   How About a 1919 Pattern Wing...  

How About a 1919 Pattern Wing...  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: How About a 1919 Pattern Wing...

The below example is not mine, I found the pic on the web. I believe that my wing was made by Kinney Co. What do you think?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How About a 1919 Pattern Wing...   How About a 1919 Pattern Wing...  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?????...nothing?

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    ?????...nothing?
    I'd say you are correct, Steve...................!

The close up shots of #1 really show the details of the artists hand.
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I'd say you are correct, Steve...................!

The close up shots of #1 really show the details of the artists hand.
    Thanks very much for the reply and input Steve - much appreciated!

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Rare wings, as are most of the WWI period.

Do you suppose these are a variant of the 'Adams' design, or is this
    fine feathered version the one that first became "standardized" ?
    What I mean is: Was the original 'Adams' wing as finely detailed as this,
    or simply the plain/slick type - do we know which came first ?

I don't think there are that many U.S. wing collectors on the forum,
    of either World War - It would be interesting to know.
    ( I enjoy seeing all of them........! )
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Rare wings, as are most of the WWI period.

Do you suppose these are a variant of the 'Adams' design, or is this
    fine feathered version the one that first became "standardized" ?
    What I mean is: Was the original 'Adams' wing as finely detailed as this,
    or simply the plain/slick type - do we know which came first ?

I don't think there are that many U.S. wing collectors on the forum,
    of either World War - It would be interesting to know.
    ( I enjoy seeing all of them........! )
    Hi Steve,

Glad to see at least one person is interested. These are modeled after the Adams design that featured "From official die" on the reverse. And yes, the Adams design incorporated this very fine feathering as well which did come first in the lineup of "modern" type pilot wings. The later variants had much less detailing and had as you correctly point out, the slick type with no individual feather detail.

Here is an example of the Adams design we are talking about. **Keep in mind that the example below is a very worn example so the fine feathering is only visible on the outer tips pf the feathers.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Steve,

There is no doubt that your badge is identical to one that carried the Kinney Company hallmark.

Cliff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How About a 1919 Pattern Wing...  

Nice 'Official die' photo, Steve.
    It appears to have 'British' style attaching hoops.

Great shot of your Kinney wing, Cliff. These are gorgeous...................!
    Regards,

Steve.