Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

LT. H. Donald Hudson not forgotten

Article about: .

?

Default LT. H. Donald Hudson not forgotten

I don't know if this is the right spot to post but I could use some help. Years ago I found a scrap book about a local pilot that was killed testing planes during WWII. In the clippings he was listed as one of " MacArthur's Aces". Has anyone ever heard of this group?
    Lt. Hudson flew a Bell P-39 Airacobra in the Australian war theater. Lt. Hudson was a holder of the DFC and the Air medal, and was a participant in 100 combat missions. He went through the entire campaign at Buna,and also fought the Japs all around the northern coast of Australia early in the war.
    Lt. Hudson died in a crash near Dayton Ohio not far from Wright field. I tried to find him on the list of U.S. ace's but could not find him listed . If this pilot was an ace he should be put on the list. Does anybody know how I could find out how meny planes he shot down ? I would like this man to get what is owed to him.

Default Re: LT. H. Donald Hudson not forgotten

Hi there,

Thanks for posting. Let me see what I can find for you. In the mean time, maybe another member will be able to answer in part or whole, your questions.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Thank you any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Do you happen to know the year of his death? I am speculating that he died later in the war given the number of combat missions, and have found numerous P-39 crashes in the location you stated from 1943-early 45. I have drawn a blank on Footnotes and Rootweb...also Nat'l Archives site. I keep getting hits for a "Donald H. Hudson", but that is not your man. If you know his first name, instead of just an initial, that might help. Also please forward any other information you might have, no matter how minor you might think it is.

There is a book titled: MacArthur's Eagles: the U.S. air war over New Guinea, 1943-1944, but I did not turn up any results in the on line Google book while searching his name.

I obtained the below from a military accident report site...there are literally hundreds of crash reports that I scrolled through, but this is the only one that I can find that might be Hudson based on your description of the crash location. However, there are many other P-39 crashes listed at location "at" Weight/Patterson Field.

DATE AC SN LOCATION

440113 P-39 42-199446 WRIGHT FIELD 10 MI SW, OH

Though this isn't the specific information you are looking for, it may lead in that direction if I can nail down the crash date.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Steve the pilots name is Henry Donald Hudson. Lt. Hudson graduation date was Sept. 26,1941 from Craig Feild ,Selma, Alabama . He was in the Buna area in 1942 . In Sept. he was listed as one of "MacArthur's Ace's" with a group 14 other pilots credited with shooting down a total of 36 Jap planes.He was awarded the DFC Jan. 28 1943 a few months later he was awarded the Air Medal by Gen. George C. Kennedy. Lt. Hudson took off from Wright Field on Aug, 28, 1943 at 1613 and never returned. He crashed in Miami Villa in Wayne Township. Officials stated that Lt. Hudsons parachute was stretched out beside him , indicating that he had attemted to jump. He died Aug. 31, 1943. Thanks for the help.
    Gary

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Steve the pilots name is Henry Donald Hudson. Lt. Hudson graduation date was Sept. 26,1941 from Craig Feild ,Selma, Alabama . He was in the Buna area in 1942 . In Sept. he was listed as one of "MacArthur's Ace's" with a group 14 other pilots credited with shooting down a total of 36 Jap planes.He was awarded the DFC Jan. 28 1943 a few months later he was awarded the Air Medal by Gen. George C. Kennedy. Lt. Hudson took off from Wright Field on Aug, 28, 1943 at 1613 and never returned. He crashed in Miami Villa in Wayne Township. Officials stated that Lt. Hudsons parachute was stretched out beside him , indicating that he had attemted to jump. He died Aug. 31, 1943. Thanks for the help.
    Gary

Thanks for the additional info Gary. I'll follow up on those leads to see what I can find. I'll also ask a couple of other friends I know to help me out on this one to see if we can get some answers for you.

Steve

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Leaving a combat zone did not always ensure longevity. There were a number of aces who were killed flying experimental aircraft. Richard Bong who was the leading ace in the Pacific was another victiml A very
    informative thread.
    FYI, the term "Jap" is quite offensive to people of Japanese ancestry. This has nothing to do with any of that silly political correctness garbage. We are an international forum and must respect all who visit here.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Well said Bob. Indeed this is an international forum and respect to all nations is a must. Even if no offense is intended we must refrain from using shall i say slang in the description of any people.

rgds, Ty

I don't think any offense was intended, but am sure he is clear as to the posted thoughts now.

Any one else who has some information on the pilot, please feel free to post as I am not having much luck so far.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    I don't think any offense was intended, but am sure he is clear as to the posted thoughts now.

Any one else who has some information on the pilot, please feel free to post as I am not having much luck so far.

Steve-
    I agree with you 100%. My comment was to inform, not to be critical.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast