Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France

Article about: As my first posting in the newly created Aviation Forum, I would like to introduce you all to Major Harry L. Wingate. This grouping highlights the contribution of the unsung heroes of WWI av

Default Re: Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France

A relaxing day at the beach. I always get a kick out of seeing old photos of "beach wear" in the early 20th century, quite different from what you see today.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France

Now for the overseas portion of the photos. I believe the Major is seated on the bike (not in the side car).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

This shot is quite large, measuring approximately 8X10. There is probably a wing under that overcoat...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

"On leave" with a buddy. Probably scouring the French countryside for a beautiful girl and a fine bottle of wine

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Nieuport stunt/combat tactic training plane at Field 8.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

I am not sure, but the fellow facing Pershing might be Wingate, he and Pershing were about the same size I believe.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

This French made wing incorporates tiny sequin-like round silver metal disks to form the lower portion of the feathers. It is quite striking in person. It measures 3 1/2 in. wide X 1 1/8 in. in height.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Really neat way of forming the stars. You can see where the silver sheathing has fallen away from the "arms" or threads that form the stars, exposing the thread underneath.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

An angled view of the wing section.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

The "US"

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast