Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF Irvin flying jacket

Article about: Hello, I've recently had my WW2 bomber command jacket re stitched and have now finished it's third coat of neatsfoot oil. The jacket was rescued from a friend who had been using it as a line

Default RAF Irvin flying jacket

Hello,
    I've recently had my WW2 bomber command jacket re stitched and have now finished it's third coat of neatsfoot oil. The jacket was rescued from a friend who had been using it as a liner for his dogs basket! It cost me a new blanket for the dog. All the stitching was rotted so I had that replaced by Martin Ashworth, who made an excellent job of it. I then proceeded with feeding the dried leather and whilst the last coat was drying this afternoon I noticed two letters painted in faded military yellow on the back. They seem to read HG. Will try and attach a couple of picks. You will have to look closely to see them so one pic has a line around the letters. Anyone have any ideas?
    Cheers,
    navyman
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Irvin flying jacket   RAF Irvin flying jacket  

Default re: RAF Irvin flying jacket

Very nice save, and great jacket! I see the "HG" but other than someones initials or possibly a ground crew member job designation, I am not sure. For WWII Navy anti-submarine personnel, the HG designation was used for convoys from Gibraltar to the United Kingdom, however I don't think that has anything to do with a bomber jacket. Possibly a jacket used by a member of the Home Guard??
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hello Steve,
    I'm very pleased with the result, it was very nearly a dustbin job until I was able to get hold of it, and then it's spent the last 15(?) or so years not used because of the rotten stitching, one sleeve hanging on bya few threads. Now I'm looking forward to a 'Great Britain' winter so I can try it out of doors.
    I will examine it again soon and see if I can find any more marks.
    Regards,
    navyman.

Quote by navyman View Post
    Hello Steve,
    I'm very pleased with the result, it was very nearly a dustbin job until I was able to get hold of it, and then it's spent the last 15(?) or so years not used because of the rotten stitching, one sleeve hanging on bya few threads. Now I'm looking forward to a 'Great Britain' winter so I can try it out of doors.
    I will examine it again soon and see if I can find any more marks.
    Regards,
    navyman.
    Hi navyman - looking forward to your follow up.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]