Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Robert Morgan (Memphis Belle pilot) sweetheart bracelet given to ms Betty Whittaker

Article about: Just here to show my recent purchase, a beautiful U.S.A. Air Corps sweetheart bracelet attributble to Robert Morgan (July 31, 1918 – May 15, 2004). Robert Morgan, trained at Southern Aviat

Jan
    ?

Default Robert Morgan (Memphis Belle pilot) sweetheart bracelet given to ms Betty Whittaker

Just here to show my recent purchase, a beautiful U.S.A. Air Corps sweetheart bracelet attributble to Robert Morgan (July 31, 1918 – May 15, 2004).

Robert Morgan, trained at Southern Aviation School in the little town of Camden, SC. While here he dated a young lady named Betty Whittaker (in his autobiography "The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle: Memoir of a WWII Bomber Pilot" he also talks about dating "Miss Betty"). Before earning his pilot wings and heading overseas in 1942, he gave Betty this engraved sweetheart bracelet. Sadly their love affair didn´t last, they parted ways and each married another.

In January 1999 after the death of Betty her husband sold the bracelet to an American militaria dealer. The dealer sold the bracelet in 2000 but got it back again in 2023 in a collection purchase.

The item was once again put up for sale in May 2024 and now it sits firmly in my collection here in Finland.

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Robert Morgan (Memphis Belle pilot) sweetheart bracelet given to ms Betty Whittaker   Robert Morgan (Memphis Belle pilot) sweetheart bracelet given to ms Betty Whittaker  

Robert Morgan (Memphis Belle pilot) sweetheart bracelet given to ms Betty Whittaker   Robert Morgan (Memphis Belle pilot) sweetheart bracelet given to ms Betty Whittaker  

Jan
    ?

Finished a small display for the bracelet today.

The crew of the "Memphis Belle" after their 25th mission: (left to right) TSgt. Harold Loch (top turret gunner/engineer), SSg.t Cecil Scott (ball turret gunner), TSgt. Robert Hanson (radio operator), Capt. James Verinis (copilot), Capt. Robert Morgan (pilot), Capt. Charles Leighton (navigator), SSgt. John Quinlan (tail gunner), SSgt. Casimer Nastal (waist gunner), Capt. Vincent Evans (bombardier), and SSgt. Clarence Winchell (waist gunner). (U.S. Air Force photo).

Now I only wish I had a picture of ms. Betty Whittaker.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Robert Morgan (Memphis Belle pilot) sweetheart bracelet given to ms Betty Whittaker