Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Rukuhia WW2 Aircraft Boneyard

Article about: At Rukuhia airfield in New Zealand, after WW2 hundreds of aircraft were stored, offered for disposal by tender and eventually scraped. Possibly melted down to make pots and saucepans. All se

Default Rukuhia WW2 Aircraft Boneyard

At Rukuhia airfield in New Zealand, after WW2 hundreds of aircraft were stored, offered for disposal by tender and eventually scraped. Possibly melted down to make pots and saucepans. All seems rather sad now, as few were saved (see John Smith collection). But by the 1950's as aircraft they were unwanted. Today Rukuhia is the site of the Hamilton city airport.

The Rukuhia RNZAF airfield was turned into a major repair and refitting depot in 1942 for aircraft in service in the Pacific war, both RNZAF and US aircraft. Airframes were repaired, engines and instruments reconditioned and refitted and during the war sent back after service. By 1945 hundreds of aircraft were returned to NZ from Pacific and most were parked at Rukuhia awaiting disposal as they were surplus to peacetime needs. By 1950's still 100 P-40 airframes slowly corroding.

The aircraft graveyard or boneyard existed from 1945 to the mid 1960's when the final relics disappeared. Today only the photos remain, and a few examples that made it into collections.

Rukuhia WW2 Aircraft BoneyardRukuhia WW2 Aircraft BoneyardRukuhia WW2 Aircraft BoneyardRukuhia WW2 Aircraft BoneyardRukuhia WW2 Aircraft BoneyardRukuhia WW2 Aircraft BoneyardRukuhia WW2 Aircraft BoneyardRukuhia WW2 Aircraft BoneyardRukuhia WW2 Aircraft Boneyard

A few more images from Rukuhia;

Rukuhia WW2 Aircraft BoneyardRukuhia WW2 Aircraft BoneyardRukuhia WW2 Aircraft BoneyardRukuhia WW2 Aircraft BoneyardRukuhia WW2 Aircraft BoneyardRukuhia WW2 Aircraft Boneyard

?

Those beautiful War Birds waiting to get crunched.
    So Sad!!

Thank you for the pic's!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

If we only knew then what we know now.....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    If we only knew then what we know now.....
    We would be rich and I would have a B-17 as a lawn decoration!!!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    We would be rich and I would have a B-17 as a lawn decoration!!!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    And I'd have a Corsair and P51D.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    And I'd have a Corsair and P51D.
    Boring! a B17 would be much more fun to play in - it's got gun turrets as well as a cockpit!

MAP
    ?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Boring! a B17 would be much more fun to play in - it's got gun turrets as well as a cockpit!
    As a static lawn ornament.....yes....a B17 is the way to go. How silly of me...

From an aesthetics point of view, I'm with the P40. Not as capable as a Corsair but beautiful lines that look fast even when parked on the grass. See that 7th photo of "19 OD". Classic style.