Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

small "Early Birds" group

Article about: Haven't posted in a while but thought you all might be interested in this small, but interesting group I purchased last week and received in the mail yesterday. Howard Franklin Wehrle was a

Default small "Early Birds" group

Haven't posted in a while but thought you all might be interested in this small, but interesting group I purchased last week and received in the mail yesterday. Howard Franklin Wehrle was a member of the "Early Bird Society" made up of 598 early aviators. "Membership was limited to those who piloted a glider, gas balloon, or airplane, prior to December 17, 1916." Howard Wehrle went to Curtiss Flying School in April 1916. Went into US Federal Service in July, 1916. His first solo flight was in June and he was made a Reserve Military Aviator in March 1917. I found an estate sale, evidently from the family, because it had this stuff from Mr. Wehrle plus USMA stuff from his son in law John R Ross II (USMA 1943). Earliest piece I got was his overseas signal corps wing and globe. Not sure when he left the Air Service. in 1922 he was on the Board of Governors at the first organization of the National Aeronautic Association of the USA. He later became secretary of the NAA in 1924. He also was the manager of the 1926 National Air Race in Philadelphia. Hope you enjoy. The Air Race medal is pretty worn because he used it as a watch fob.
    small "Early Birds" groupsmall "Early Birds" groupsmall "Early Birds" groupsmall "Early Birds" groupsmall "Early Birds" groupsmall "Early Birds" groupsmall "Early Birds" groupsmall "Early Birds" groupsmall "Early Birds" group

?

What a great find a true treasure.

Very nice items. I have never seen before. Thank you for posting.
    John

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    Very nice items. I have never seen before. Thank you for posting.
    John
    I agree.

Never heard of the Early Birds.. I learned something really interesting today.--Thank you.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.