Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection

Article about: by CThomas Here's another example of this souvenir piece but this time 'France' is etched onto the scroll. I've posted several detailed shots so you can get a better idea as to manufacturing

Default Re: U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection

Chuck,

I can't spell fececious, don't even know what it means.

Just bustin' - you're one of the good guys!1

Best, DJ

Dennis-

Don't mind me. I was being overly sensitive. I guess it's a hold over from growing up with 7, count them seven, sisters.

I've got more scans which I will post shortly!

-Chuck

Here's a very unusual piece...

This collar disc was manufactured as a locket. It even has the original display image still in place.

-Chuck
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection   U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection  

U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection   U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection  

Never seen one of these before: what a lovely little item.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade-

They're hard to come by but they're out there. If your eyes are good, you'll also see such discs variants as "US", Quartermaster, Infantry etc...It appears a full line of these discs were made for the 'sweetheart' market.

-Chuck

Here's a neat piece that came after those pictures were taken...

I'm of the opinion this piece was German made during the occupation period. It has an hinge assembly I've seen on other German awards.

-Chuck
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection   U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection  

Here's another example of this souvenir piece but this time 'France' is etched onto the scroll. I've posted several detailed shots so you can get a better idea as to manufacturing methods. Notice too the silver hallmarks on the clasp.

U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection   U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection  

More neat items Chuck - thanks for posting. One of my collecting gols is to put together a representitive set of collar insignia and cap badges from WW1 to WW2. I have a few bits and peices so far. This is why your posts are so interesting to me.

Cheers
    John

John-
    Thank you. Keep an eye out on AGM's catalogs. I sent a bunch of WWII insignia over to Jeff. There was an interesting transitional Air Force disc with the cutout "US" letters in the center of a thin circular border. Not exactly what I collect but I hear they're uncommon.

Please, if you have any questions/concerns on WWI AS collar insignia, I'd be glad to help out.

Thanks again for your kind comments.

-Chuck

Thanks for the info Chuck I will keep an eye out and post back here when I find insignia I am interested in for verification.

Cheers
    John
    Last edited by John Cooper; 03-27-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast