Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

US 1st Aero Squadron Colors (Guidon) 1913

Article about: by Croix de Guerre Good Lord Terry! I'm speechless! I find myself in that position quite often. Actually I have not seen a good WW1 Air Service Guidon come up for sale other than the 1st Aer

Default Re: US 1st Aero Squadron Colors (Guidon) 1913

Quote by Croix de Guerre View Post
    Good Lord Terry! I'm speechless!
    I find myself in that position quite often. Actually I have not seen a good WW1 Air Service Guidon come up for sale other than the 1st Aero that I obtained years ago so my estimate of the $500 was a wild guess. The few that I have seen in collections are all made of cotton or muslin and no where near the quality of the silk hand embroidered 1st Aero. In addition I have been able to confirm that it was in fact manufactured prior to 1913 which pre dates all the WW1 guidons. Perhaps thats what was influencing the offer several years ago. But it means more to me than a few bucks, and it doesn't eat much, has good manners and just hangs around not bothering anyone. In addition it appears to be quite happy living with us so I suspect it will live out its life here in Ala. Hope this finds you well and happy.

Terry

Vinnie
    ?

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Vince,
    As stated by Steve, some pictures would be appreciated to include pictures of any stamps or mfg tags on the guidon. As for value, these original guidons are extremely rare, and due to the very limited number of collectors in this area it would totally depend on the value that that particular collector would be willing to pay for it. Personally I would think a legit WW1 Airservice guidon to a combat squadron would be worth in the $500 plus area, but thats just a guess. I have been offered several thousand for the 1st Aero Guidon and you notice it still hangs on my wall. They have been reproduced, especially the 94th Aero so it needs to be checked very closely.

Terry
    Terry + Steve:
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try to attach some pictures as soon as I can. I'm an over-the-hill computer illiterate so please bear with me. The Guidon I have is of good quality...watered silk, heavy embroidery. No manufacturers tag is present and there never seems to have been one. I note with interest your reference to repros. Maybe this is one of them. I acquired the guidon from the estate of Frank Ryder who I'm sure is well known to you fellas, especially if you are from Alabama. The 94th guidon I have is sure not in the same class as the 1st A.S. Guidon but it is a neat even if it is a repro. Photos to follow.
    All the best...Vince

Quote by Vinnie View Post
    Terry + Steve:
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try to attach some pictures as soon as I can. I'm an over-the-hill computer illiterate so please bear with me. The Guidon I have is of good quality...watered silk, heavy embroidery. No manufacturers tag is present and there never seems to have been one. I note with interest your reference to repros. Maybe this is one of them. I acquired the guidon from the estate of Frank Ryder who I'm sure is well known to you fellas, especially if you are from Alabama. The 94th guidon I have is sure not in the same class as the 1st A.S. Guidon but it is a neat even if it is a repro. Photos to follow.
    All the best...Vince
    Vince,

No problem on the computer skills...I think you and Major Morris (Terry) may have something in common in that area (sorry Major ). Anyhow, when you are ready to post, please start a new thread so that we can have each guidon in their own respective threads (just makes it easier for searches).

If you have any difficulty, please feel free to PM or e-mail me and I will gladly help you if needed.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Vinnie View Post
    Terry + Steve:
    All the best...Vince
    Vince,
    The mfg tag or stamp would be located inside the folded end where the staff would slide through. Don't feel bad about computer knowledge, I am just barely past the pencil and eraser stage myself.
    Terry

Vinnie
    ?

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Vince,
    The mfg tag or stamp would be located inside the folded end where the staff would slide through. Don't feel bad about computer knowledge, I am just barely past the pencil and eraser stage myself.
    Terry
    Hey Terry:
    There is no mfg tag nor stamp. At the top opening of the sleeve there is only a 4 x 1/2 inch strip of dark brown leather sewn inside the sleeve that has a 1 1/2 inch slit to hook the guidon to the flag staff. When I finally am able to send photos, I'll try to detail what I'm trying to describe.
    Vince

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2