Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

USAF Base - Burtonwood.Keeping the memories alive.

Article about: by HARRY THE MOLE Hi Gunny, If you go up Burtonwood Road over the railway bridge, you will come to a road which dissects Burtonwood Road - which is now closed off at this point. Just the oth

Default USAF Base - Burtonwood.Keeping the memories alive.

The latest addition to the childrens playground on the site of the former USAF base at Burtonwood. My three-year-old grand-daughter brings in the plane after another successful mission.
    USAF Base - Burtonwood.Keeping the memories alive.USAF Base - Burtonwood.Keeping the memories alive.USAF Base - Burtonwood.Keeping the memories alive.

Default Re: USAF Base - Burtonwood.Keeping the memories alive.

I love it! I wish that was around when I was a kid

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Very nice. Great use of a big lump of concrete.

I just wonder how long it will be before some little sod paints a pair of boobs on it.................

Looks brilliant Steve, i'll take my grandson!...

Great stuff "H" and nice pics too........Jake.

Cool!

Stig Erik

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    I love it! I wish that was around when I was a kid

Nick
    The local playground when I was a kid had a Harvard on poles in it. Was great fun to climb up and into but i assume the do-gooders had it removed in later years in light of 'safety concerns'. Another park further away had a DC3 in it but even as kids we knew to be careful running around over that thing, it was a long way to fall from a DC3 wingtip!

I was there again with my grand-daughter the other day. The paint is already starting to peel off. Little actually remains of the base now. There are just the odd bunker here and there. When I have more time I will try and record what can still be seen.

What road is the playground on Steve?...

Hi Gunny,

If you go up Burtonwood Road over the railway bridge, you will come to a road which dissects Burtonwood Road - which is now closed off at this point. Just the other side of this new road is a large expanse of grass when the warehouses used to be. The park is situated on there, you can't miss it.

The alternative route is to head for the new Sainsbury's and park up on their car park. If you look for the new school you should see the propellor monument on top of the hill on the field. The park is next to this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast