Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Ww1 rfc wings fake or real help thank you

Article about: hi chaps need help on this badge seller was selling it with a ww1 death plaque never sold ww1 or ww2 items says the badge was in with the plaque ?? So it it just a fake or real ?? I don't th

Default Ww1 rfc wings fake or real help thank you

Attachment 1308077
    hi chaps need help on this badge seller was selling it with a ww1 death plaque
    never sold ww1 or ww2 items says the badge was in with the plaque ??
    So it it just a fake or real ?? I don't think that she was out to deceive as she did not know what the badge was . So help on this please

What does the back look like? It is not the sort of typical RFC wing you see on original uniforms or provenanced collections - Red in the crown is not usual until the RAF wings were introduced in 1918. The two tone thread on the wings and feathers is also odd. The placement of the 'RFC' is sloppy the RFC mingles with the wreath the C does not. Again, not typical but not huge warnings either. These were usually hand made in silk, or partially assisted with a loom, so huge variation is encountered. Worth a chance if not too expensive a bit more 'in hand study' and comparison with known good examples should be conclusive. My hunch based on experience is not WW I, but late 20's and 1930's, but happy to be wrong too.

Be helpful to see a photo of the back. But it could well be authentic. What we do know is there are numerous variations of the RFC badge that relate to different manufacturers. Some RFC crowns did have red. Give it a light check for synthetic threads.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Be helpful to see a photo of the back. But it could well be authentic. What we do know is there are numerous variations of the RFC badge that relate to different manufacturers. Some RFC crowns did have red. Give it a light check for synthetic threads.
    i have a black light will test and put photos of back on if i does not glow like a light bulb

big thank you

?

It could not be 1920s or 30s, as the RFC became the RAF on 1st April 1918...

I fully agree that better and more images are required...

Bob

Bob - Qualified pilots that we no longer active RAF but still in service with other branches were authorized to wear the RFC badge, it was an earned trade qualification, and did so. They turn up on Army personnel, in particular those that were attached to the RFC from parent army units and remain in service post war. Often found on Home Guard uniforms from the second war. Additionally they were sold with commemorative frames for families of casualtie to display medals etc.