Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI photo

Article about: I bought some WWI photo postcards the other day could this guy be a pilot or a driver? Gary

?

Default WWI photo

I bought some WWI photo postcards the other day could this guy be a pilot or a driver?

Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI photo  

?

Default Re: WWI photo

Hi

I am by no means an expert on WW1, but from what I do know I would say that he is aircrew.

?

Jimpy I dont know but he sure looks cold. Gary

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Jimpy I dont know but he sure looks cold. Gary

.............Must be aircrew !

It is very difficult to say for sure as the vast percentage of flying equipment was of private purchase. There isn't really anything in the photo that would lead me to be able to say with 100% certainty that the individual is a pilot. It is very possible that he could be, or a driver.

I have seen photos of pilots with cold weather gear "on display" many times. The aviation section even produced some photos of electrically heated suits in wear (not that this photo is representative of that) but I am just using that example to demonstrate that it was rather "common" to feature flying gear in photographs during the period. One observation...unless the foliage in the background is an ever green, this photo may have not even been taken in winter or even when it was cold, so that could be an indicator that the man is/was a pilot demonstrating flying gear wear. I don't think driver's posed very much for photos of themselves in cold weather gear as the pilots did in their glorious profession. So, it is a definite maybe in my mind.
    Last edited by Steven M; 10-09-2009 at 02:14 AM.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]