Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arrow cross or? Any ideas what this is?

Article about: Hello I had put this in the german flag forums section but figured i'd put it in here to see if others have info or comments also. I was wondering if I can get some info or comments on this

?

Default Arrow cross or? Any ideas what this is?

Hello
    I had put this in the german flag forums section but figured i'd put it in here to see if others have info or comments also.
    I was wondering if I can get some info or comments on this flag, what it is, what it might have been for etc. I bought it for a fair price because the seller did not know whether it was repro or original & didn’t really know what it was for either. Apparently, it was acquired with a number of Hungarian uniforms so he surmised that it might be for the arrow cross, but that was just a supposition on his part. He said he did not know whether it was original, repro nor do I, but I bought it as I say for a fair price & figured it was probably modern, but again don’t really know for sure. If modern any ideas on what it would have been used for is appreciated also. There is a green circle around it which I have not found on any of the pictures of an Arrow cross flag, but I have seen variations in the arrow cross flags I have seen. It is roughly 14 ½ feet long and a little over 5 feet in width. It is completely double sided, almost as if two complete one sided flags were sewn together. It has a rip on one side and some soiling on each side, but not detractive. It is constructed of multiple pieces & very well constructed. Any help or info regarding it is much appreciated. Arrow cross or? Any ideas what this is?Arrow cross or? Any ideas what this is?Arrow cross or? Any ideas what this is?

has a neo-nazi vibe to me....that said, check out this web page

Nyilaskeresztes P?rt (Hungary, 1940-1945)
    "Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth

I've seen these arrow-cross banners either hung lengthwise on a wall or used as a tablecloth on a stage. They did indeed have a green border surrounding the arrow-cross symbol as opposed to their flags which typically had a white border or no border. You'll need to post close-up photos of the fabric, seams, and stitching before any attempt can be made at judging its age.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Arrow cross or? Any ideas what this is?  

?

Hello, Katmandude & Piedmont, thank you much for your comments & info. Katmandude, I have seen the site you show & have looked at a bunch of others but as of yet haven't found any flag with the exact configuration of the one I show. As I mentioned, the person I acquired it from had gotten it along with some hungarian uniforms but he had no idea if arrow cross or what. I bought it not knowing what it was exactly but found it interesting enough to buy for what I paid for it. Piedmont, I have attached a few closer up pics to show stitching etc. I also believe it is most likely modern made, which is okay but it would be interesting to find out what it was used for. Neo-nazi type banner, reunion banner or what? I thank you for the picture and appreciate any other comments you or anyone has regarding it. sorry that i reposted that last pic. Didn't know how to remove it. More pics as follows.
    thanks BillArrow cross or? Any ideas what this is?Arrow cross or? Any ideas what this is?Arrow cross or? Any ideas what this is?Arrow cross or? Any ideas what this is?Arrow cross or? Any ideas what this is?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Arrow cross or? Any ideas what this is?  

The fabric looks like a cotton/linen blend with a typical weft and warp weave pattern, but it doesn't look as tight and substantial as one would expect to see on pre-1945 fabric.

?

piedmont, thank you again for your info. To me, the red fabric, particularly on the first closeup I showed, looks very much like what is used on flags of the era but in the 2nd pic showing the red I can see what you mean regarding the weave not being as tight as on pre 45 fabric, hard to tell, I think. But nonetheless I do tend to think this is probably a modern made item...but for what use? Neo Nazi type organization or? I haven't been able to find an arrow cross symbol, either of the period or any modern neo nazi type arrow cross symbol with a green circle around it. Someone told me they had seen one with green around it but as of yet I haven't found it. Whether original or not I hope I find out what it was used for. I can't imagine someone just having an item this size etc made for no reason. Thank you again & any other comments or info you have is appreciated
    Bill

yes, arrow flag, and it was the flag of the Hungarian arrow crusader party and its symbol is the cross. unfortunately, it's really just a replica

?

Hello Gabor,
    Thanks very much for that information. My question though is, I have never seen another arrow cross flag with a green circle around it, either repro or original. Why does my flag have the green circle around it. Is it possible that this is for some modern Hungarian fascist or nationalist group? For my information what would an original arrow cross flag be like compared to this which I agree, is most likely a modern reproduction. I tend to think as I say this is for a modern fascist or nationalist group if not original arrow cross. Thank you again for your help and info and anything else you can tell me about this flag
    Bill

I already understand the question. There are many versions at home.

1944 Nyilaskeresztes Part hungarista karszalag / 1944 Hungarian | Darabanth Kft.

this is an original

these are today's versions.

http://magyarhirlap.files.wordpress....rista_2012.png

Nyilaskeresztes Part - Hungarista Mozgalom zaszlo 150 x 90 cm

Nyilaskeresztes zaszlo 1. - Militaria | Galeria Savaria Archiv Katalogus

the symbol of the Hungarian Hungarianist/neo-Nazi movement

?

Thank you Gabor. I have seen those other arrow cross type flags you show. Have you seen the type I show with the green circle around it. I have yet to see this exact type so that's why I ask.
    thanks again
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast