Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Bulgarian M36a

Article about: Hi All, Another from my varied helmet collection. This is a Bulgarian M36a, the first model with 4 liner pins and rolled edge. This example has had an extensive service life. The interior co

Default Bulgarian M36a

Hi All,

Another from my varied helmet collection.

This is a Bulgarian M36a, the first model with 4 liner pins and rolled edge. This example has had an extensive service life. The interior colour seems to be the original whilst the exterior has been repainted multiple times with traces of the 1951 rework colour and then 2 different darker greens over that. There is also some red paint in places to the front where a red star may have been.

The liner is unusual as it does not match the wartime examples or the 1951 rework style. It's made of a blackened leather that has a similar texture to the WW2 british oilcloth liners. There are letters scratched into the liner but no apparent markings. Additionally to this the large rounded pins for the liner have been replaced with flat rivets which have been with the helmet for a few repaints.

The chinstrap is made from the same material as the liner that is stiched in place with a roller buckle.

I hope you all enjoy and I welcome any further information regarding the M36 series and their long lifespan.
    Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bulgarian M36a   Bulgarian M36a  

Bulgarian M36a   Bulgarian M36a  

?

Nice helmet Matt, the kind I enjoy. Some Bulgarian helmets have been in service for over half a century! No wonder they are amazing. The liner seems home made, the chinstrap, very old because of the stitching & repairs.
    More info: My Bulgarian M36/A. An helmet with a new life.
    Jack

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply. I certainly find how long the Bulgarians used the M36 helmets for fascinating.

I also noticed I forgot to add the picture of the inside of the liner retaining rivet. The liner is mounted to a steel band.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bulgarian M36a