Letter Written by Japanese Civilian To a Former U.S. Soldier Who Bonded With Him While in Occupied Japan.
This letter was written by a Ryosaku Arikai. He was a Japanese civilian Living in Shizuoka, Japan. He was writing to a Robert Zagnoli, who had served with the 81st Infantry Division during WW2. Robert had spent time in Allied Occupied Japan shortly after the war. While there, Robert and Ryosaku had met and expressed an interest in collecting stamps. The letter reads:

“ Shizuoka post Office,
Shizuoka-City, Japan.
July, 4 1949

To

Mr Robert J Zagnoli
1416 Des Moines Street
Does Moines, Iowa.

Dear Mr. J. Zagnoli :

How are you getting along, Mr. J. Zagnoli? I bet you still remember me, don’t you? I am Mr. Ryosaku Arikai, had been working at the inquiring-window of the Tokyo Central Post Office and there, I acquainted with you in collecting the postage stamps.

Recently I transferred to the Shizuoka post office located in Shizuoka City, being my native town. You know that Shizuoka Prefecture.

In a week, I am going to send you a package containing one of the best quality tea produced around here.

At present by the postal regulations, we can send just a very small parcel that is, only less than 500 grams. However, when the regulations will be revised, I shall be glad to send you more bigger and heavier parcels to send, so please wait until the very time comes, just tell me what you want so that I shall prepare for them. Please do not care to send me foreign stamps which I have less interesting.

Now, Mr. J Zagnoli, if it is not rude, could you kindly send me such daily necessaries as toilet soaps or wool thread? I hope you will enjoy the finest Japan’s green which will be shipped to you pretty soon.

Please accept my best wishes for your continued success and happiness and hoping to hear from you again pretty soon.

Yours very sincerely,

Ryosaku Arikai,
Shizuoka post office

New stamps. 12 kind ¥ 188.60 “

The stamps he sent were unfortunately not in the envelope. But there was a little booklet he included that was still in the envelope with the letter.

Robert would pass away on August 12th 2015. He is buried in the Glendale Cemetery in Iowa. Unfortunately I don’t have any information on Ryosaku.
Letter Written by Japanese Civilian To a Former U.S. Soldier Who Bonded With Him While in Occupied Japan.